• Advertisement

Remington VESA MAX Autoloader Troubleshooting

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:23 pm
Did we get it fixed Big C
I got a good laugh at the 75 pounds vs inch pounds over on SGW:)
Dang if that would have been tight!!
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 pm
vmax wrote:Has any one had there forend nut replaced? The darn thing needs to be checked all the time. It comes loose. When it was new it wasn't a big deal now it bothers me :cry:

I had to replace mine, gun came apart at mag tube cap. Remington sent me a new cap and spring cap/plug

If its up high, it's coming to the ground
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 pm
TuJays wrote:The "firing pin retaining pin" that fits into the bolt; in the original design it was held in place by friction of a O ring against a vertical cut face on the bolt. This can and did cause failures and if it backed out enough it would crash into the receiver when a shell was fired.
I notched the bolt face on mine so that the O ring had a place to expand into and that solved the problem. Remington took my suggestion and dovetail cut the bolt wall instead of vertical cut and that is the upgraded bolt/retaining pin design that works perfectly now.
If you get one with a vertical face it is a easy fix with a dremel tool. I will post a few pictures that will show you all what I did.
Here is the pin and O ring in their proper place.

Here is the notch I cut so the O ring has a place to expand into.

Here is a exaggerated drawing of the shape difference between the original bolt and the new upgraded bolt.

I had this issue the other day, pin must have worked out while shooting hyper sonic 3.5". Needless to say, the firing pin broke, retainer pin snapped and got hung between the bolt and housing, and the pin sheared that attached the rod to the back of the bolt. Do u know if Remington has a new bolt with the dove tail cut into it for the o-ring to seat in?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:44 am
Yes, the new bolt design has the exact same cut in it that I put in mine. This keeps the firing pin retaining pin in its proper place. Had i not noticed mine backing out it would have crashed just like yours did.
They will most likely want your gun to be shipped back to them for repairs when you call and tell them what happened.
Have your serial number handy and call 1-800-243-9700 between 9-5 eastern time.
let them know you need a new receiver, complete bolt assembly, and new mag cap and retainer.
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm
TuJays wrote:Yes, the new bolt design has the exact same cut in it that I put in mine. This keeps the firing pin retaining pin in its proper place. Had i not noticed mine backing out it would have crashed just like yours did.
They will most likely want your gun to be shipped back to them for repairs when you call and tell them what happened.
let them know you need a new receiver, complete bolt assembly, and new mag cap and retainer.

I called Remington this morning. They are sending me the new bolt!!!!! Plus complete assembly kit for the new bolt. I told the tech that the guy last week sent a new assembly kit but not the new bolt. He said he is sending the new bolt and another assembly kit! Looks like I'll have a spare kit! I'm going to knotch my old bolt for a back up! Also they are sending me a new butt stock for my 870 SM that broke this weekend! I'm very impressed with the tech support!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:02 pm
Assault wrote:
TuJays wrote:Yes, the new bolt design has the exact same cut in it that I put in mine. This keeps the firing pin retaining pin in its proper place. Had i not noticed mine backing out it would have crashed just like yours did.

I called Remington this morning. They are sending me the new bolt!!!!! Plus complete assembly kit for the new bolt. I told the tech that the guy last week sent a new assembly kit but not the new bolt. He said he is sending the new bolt and another assembly kit! Looks like I'll have a spare kit! I'm going to knotch my old bolt for a back up! Also they are sending me a new butt stock for my 870 SM that broke this weekend! I'm very impressed with the tech support!

assault...Remingtons service after the sale is impeccable!!!
NOW.....if I could only get them to listen to guys like me before they rush to get something on the market all would be well.
But, you never know how your design will hold up until it is put into real service by real people. My VM topic on SGW has proven that to them time and time again. We did get all of the kinks and "didn't see that coming" things fixed though and I feel like this gun will be around for many years.

I will not waterfowl hunt without my Versa Max!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 pm
TuJays wrote:
Assault wrote:

assault...Remingtons service after the sale is impeccable!!!
NOW.....if I could only get them to listen to guys like me before they rush to get something on the market all would be well.
But, you never know how your design will hold up until it is put into real service by real people. My VM topic on SGW has proven that to them time and time again. We did get all of the kinks and "didn't see that coming" things fixed though and I feel like this gun will be around for many years.

I will not waterfowl hunt without my Versa Max!!!!

Thanks for your help! May send u my old bolt and get u to modify it for a back up if you wouldn't mind. But thanks for the input about the bolt! My assembly kit came in today from when I first called about the issue last Thursday. Now waiting on my new bolt to come in so I can put my gun back together. But one question, what paint to use to coat the bare aluminum on the receiver where the pin got wedged?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 am
It is aluminum so it will not corrode, but if it bothers you just pick a krylon or another good name brand of spray paint that closely matches the desired color, squirt some into a paper cup and let it evaporate for a little bit, then using a small brush you can touch up any areas you desire.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:28 am
TuJays wrote:It is aluminum so it will not corrode, but if it bothers you just pick a krylon or another good name brand of spray paint that closely matches the desired color, squirt some into a paper cup and let it evaporate for a little bit, then using a small brush you can touch up any areas you desire.

Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 am
TuJays wrote:It is aluminum so it will not corrode, but if it bothers you just pick a krylon or another good name brand of spray paint that closely matches the desired color, squirt some into a paper cup and let it evaporate for a little bit, then using a small brush you can touch up any areas you desire.

All the parts came in to rebuild both guns. Once I get back in town, I'll rebuild the V-Max and give it another run

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:40 pm
I've been a member for less than a hour --- really glad I found your board.
I bought a VM Tactical for (local) 3 Gun Nation Matches and having a great time.
First; KUDOS to Remington for providing a new VM Tactical to the first 50 local gun clubs who signed up to hold a 3 Gun Nation Series. Every participant in these matches is in the year-end drawing for a new gun!!
To my questions/issues: (if these have been addressed before I couldn't find it)
My gun doesn't release a round when the shell release is depressed. I typically have to carefully reach in and push the first round that is in the magazine, hold the release, quickly let go and the round goes into the mag well.
Question two: In 3 Gun many stages require a slug or two, rather randomly. How do I manually load a slug, quickly, when the magazine still has rounds in it without double loading? The owners manual suggests pulling the bolt most of the way back - but not the whole way ..... really? I'd need three hands!!!
Question three: This gun is designed for 3 Gun Competitions .... but no one makes a ghost ring sight for it. I called the Remington Techs ---- nothing they no of. Called HiViz ..... nothing. The idea of an optic isn't the answer as that puts the shooter into the OPEN class (no thanks). Virtually every other tactical shotgun comes with Ghost Ring Sights.
Would appreciate ANY direction/help!!!
Thanks, KAZ
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:39 pm
KAZ wrote:I've been a member for less than a hour --- really glad I found your board.
I bought a VM Tactical for (local) 3 Gun Nation Matches and having a great time.
First; KUDOS to Remington for providing a new VM Tactical to the first 50 local gun clubs who signed up to hold a 3 Gun Nation Series. Every participant in these matches is in the year-end drawing for a new gun!!
To my questions/issues: (if these have been addressed before I couldn't find it)
My gun doesn't release a round when the shell release is depressed. I typically have to carefully reach in and push the first round that is in the magazine, hold the release, quickly let go and the round goes into the mag well.

The sharp leading edge of the shell latch is cutting into the soft head of the shell in the magazine; you need to polish the edge of the shell latch with a piece of emory cloth.

Question two: In 3 Gun many stages require a slug or two, rather randomly. How do I manually load a slug, quickly, when the magazine still has rounds in it without double loading? The owners manual suggests pulling the bolt most of the way back - but not the whole way ..... really? I'd need three hands!!!

I pull the bolt back with my left index finger with the butt of the gun resting against my left hip, catch the live round that was in the chamber with my right hand and then replace it with the new shell and let the bolt go....I can do it pretty fast.

Question three: This gun is designed for 3 Gun Competitions .... but no one makes a ghost ring sight for it. I called the Remington Techs ---- nothing they no of. Called HiViz ..... nothing. The idea of an optic isn't the answer as that puts the shooter into the OPEN class (no thanks). Virtually every other tactical shotgun comes with Ghost Ring Sights.

i do not know, sorry!

Would appreciate ANY direction/help!!!
Thanks, KAZ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:42 pm
If you have a top rail, try a rail mounted sling ring for the ghost sight.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:11 pm
THANK YOU!!!
The Ghost Ring question got answered this morning ..... I found one that works and works GREAT and .... it's inexpensive!! It's called the UnderTaker Turkey Sight made by Hunter's Specialties.
It fits the VM rib perfectly. It provides a bright orange ring and a replacement fiber optic green front sight. The only quirk is you need to put a drop of glue on the orange ring as it falls out easily.
I'll try the drill suggested for adding a slug mid-magazine .........
As for the polishing recommendation ..... may I get a bit more detail on where to polish ...... happy to do it but really don't want to assume I know where & how much to find out the gun needs to see the gun doctor!
thanks, KAZ
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm
KAZ wrote:THANK YOU!!!
The Ghost Ring question got answered this morning ..... I found one that works and works GREAT and .... it's inexpensive!! It's called the UnderTaker Turkey Sight made by Hunter's Specialties.
It fits the VM rib perfectly. It provides a bright orange ring and a replacement fiber optic green front sight. The only quirk is you need to put a drop of glue on the orange ring as it falls out easily.
I'll try the drill suggested for adding a slug mid-magazine .........
As for the polishing recommendation ..... may I get a bit more detail on where to polish ...... happy to do it but really don't want to assume I know where & how much to find out the gun needs to see the gun doctor!
thanks, KAZ

a picture is worth a billion words....polish the sharp edge of the shell "Feed Latch" where it makes contact with the shell while in the magazine.....here ya go:)

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am
THANK YOU!!!
Lousy weather day, here, so a perfect day to address this issue, clean guns, and probably do some reloading.
I appreciate the detailed response.
KAZ

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 am
Unfortunately that didn't change the issue. Still won't always release a shell from the magazine.
It may be a different cause. There didn't seem to be any sharp edge on the shell holder. I polished the shell side anyway ....... but no change.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 am
KAZ wrote:Unfortunately that didn't change the issue. Still won't always release a shell from the magazine.
It may be a different cause. There didn't seem to be any sharp edge on the shell holder. I polished the shell side anyway ....... but no change.

polish the inside edge....the edge you can't see....not the edge you can see as it never contacts the shell head!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:39 am
Or just shoot the crap out of it and it will polish itself!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:12 pm
TuJays wrote:Or just shoot the crap out of it and it will polish itself!!!

That is definitely the funnest option! ;-D
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am
I did understand it was the surface that contacts the shell .... and that's what I polished.
It's been through four 3-Gun Nation Matches ...... so about 250-300 rounds have been through the gun.
Sounds like a problem with the shell release, to me .... not fully receding. There are no marks on the brass to indication the edge is cutting into the brass.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:19 pm
KAZ wrote:I did understand it was the surface that contacts the shell .... and that's what I polished.
It's been through four 3-Gun Nation Matches ...... so about 250-300 rounds have been through the gun.
Sounds like a problem with the shell release, to me .... not fully receding. There are no marks on the brass to indication the edge is cutting into the brass.

Well, I was just making sure:)
Check the trigger group over really well and see if something is causing friction when pushing the shell release.
Does it just do it when you push it or does it also hang up while shooting?

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 am
Here's how MY gun behaves ...... since I'm the only one around here with a VM-Tactical I can't really compare guns.
If the gun is fully loaded and I need to unload it:
Pull the bolt - a round ejects.
Pull it again - a second round ejects
Pull it again - nothing. I need to press the shell release, then the bolt (twice) to get 2 rounds out.
Pull it again - nothing. I need to press the shell release again to continue.
Is that by design or is that a malfunction?
When I fully load the magazine (no ghost round) to release the first round I either need to stick my finger or a pencil to push the first round forward, then quickly release it for it to dump out of the magazine.
It has behaved this way since my first day with it.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:53 am
Something is not right....when you mean "fully loaded" does that include a ghost round?
In you manual read the loading and unloading section and you will see that by design for a shell to be released from the magazine onto the carrier you MUST press the cartridge release lever.
Simply pulling the bolt back SHOULD NOT release a shell from the magazine at any time on all VM models.
Now if you have one in the chamber, one in "ghost" position and a full mag, then what you describe is perfectly normal.
Likewise when you do not have a ghost shell on the carrier what you describe is also perfectly normal......with the exception of the pencil......just push the shell release with the bolt closed and a round will pop out of the magazine.

Here is the way it was designed to work.
With one in the chamber and a full magazine this is how it is unloaded.
Press the shell release letting a shell come out of the magazine onto the carrier.
Pull the bolt fully reward ejecting the chambered round.
Let it go to chamber the first one you release.
Press the shell release again.
Pull the bolt again
Let it go again.
Press the shell release again.........and continue until the gun is empty and the bolt locks in the rear position.

The ghost round is what is getting you mixed up:)

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:42 pm
I've never run a ghost round .... in my class of 3GN I can only load to Class Capacity which is 8+1.
PreviousNext

Return to Remington VERSA MAX