• Advertisement

Remington 887 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:55 pm
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your Remington model 887 Pump Action Shotgun; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 am
I've had my 887 for a week and a day. I've taken it out four times and put about 100-200 2-3/4 birdshot shells through it each time. I have cleaned it twice, once after the first outing and again after two more outings. I have had two problems:

Problem 1: The gun jams, probably once in about 20-30 rounds. I don't know if it is user error. What happens is the round does not get seated in the carrier properly and the side of the round hits the side of the chamber as it's being loaded. I will call Remington about this. I'm thinking a solution would be to dremel down the chamber where the round is hitting.

Problem 2: The gun will also mis-fire (light-strikes). This is reproducible. When a round is loaded into the chamber, there is some play in the forend; you can jiggle it back and forth about ⅛”. When the forend is pushed forward, towards the muzzle, the gun will fire every time. But if you pull the forend towards you, the gun will mis-fire. This is because when the forend is pulled back towards the shooter, the bolt carrier pulls away from the bolt head. When this happens, the firing pin does not extrude from the bolt head as much because there is more distance for it to travel, resulting in a mis-fire.

pulled_backward_opt.jpg
Forend pulled back towards shooter: results in light strikes. Notice the gap between the bolt carrier and the bolt head.
pulled_backward_opt.jpg (158.25 KiB) Viewed 7872 times

pushed_forward_opt.jpg
Forend pushed forward, towards muzzle. There is no gap.
pushed_forward_opt.jpg (165.99 KiB) Viewed 7872 times

Has anyone experienced these problems?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:16 pm
I have the same issue as you have described with the forend slop and misfiring. Has any one come up with a solution? Unfortunately I received my M887 used and can not get warranty service, as far as I know. I would be willing to spend a few dollars on a repair, if there is indeed a solution, or replacement part. Thanks
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 pm
I also have had these problems with a ducks unlimited edition 887. I sold it to a guy that keeps asking me how to fix it. Can anyone please help me with this problematic all black lemon?
If you can't sell it don't buy it
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 pm
I am not aware of a fix for this problem yet but I will keep searching and probing.
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 pm
(Update: solved ... see page 2 and 3) :mrgreen:

Hello,

New member to the Remington M887 / 887 nitro mag family ... shotgun one day New, never fired.

Situation:

Load all the shells, went to clear the weapon. First shell ejected great then started to get double/triple feeds resulting in jamming. Sometimes it would eject a spent shell and a live round while chambering a third round, other times live shells would just fall out the bottom.

Disassembled magazine inspected .. looks good .. did this twice with same results.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by Secret Squirrel on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 pm
I'm stumped too, I would try to disassemble and reassemble it and see if that makes any difference

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:09 am
If anyone is having the light strike issue when pulling back on the action, this can be fixed by adding some material to the rear left guide/tab on the bolt, this is what adjusts how much slack the action has when locked in the forward position.

This guide/tab will fit against the slide release lever and adding material gives it less room to move backward.

I used chemical metal and a file to make a correct shape piece and then used some hybrid loctite to glue it on. (Not superglue, it will break from recoil, but hybrid can take it, i used it to glue on my hiviz sights too..)
Last edited by Grodin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:03 pm
Well I took the shotgun apart and cleaned/oiled it, then took it out into the woods to test fire.

First try - Pulled the trigger ... Boom, figured I was too slow on the Cycle ... maybe???

Second try - Loaded the shells and tried it again, Boom ... but now I am unable to move the slide to cycle the next round. Yanking it with all my might breaks it free.

Third try - Loaded the weapon, pulled the trigger Boom, cycled fast and two shells fly out. One empty and another live round. I look in through the ejection port and there is still one more live round ready to be chambered just hanging out like the third wheel on a date.

Fourth try - pick up the round off the ground clean it load the weapon again. Pull the trigger Boom, go to cycle and it is seized up again. So I yank and yank till it pops free.

Walk to the house defeated, so what do I do now? Hopefully Remington will have the answer?

More to follow
.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 pm
Spoke to Remington customer service, which was outstanding. They are sending a new trigger assembly to me, the weapon should not be double/triple feeding (the timing is off in the trigger assembly).

Should not matter how slow you cycle the weapon, when you pull the pump back to eject the spent shell all your live rounds either spit out the ejection port, jam with double feed, or fall out the bottom. I don't care how fast you think you can cycle that weapon, you're not going to beat the .10 of a second it takes to spit out multiple shells under tension from the mag spring.

I'll update once I put in the new Trigger assembly ..
Next

Return to Remington Model 887