• Advertisement

Barrel bore break in

Post any "How To" topic in this forum or, if you have a question about a modification you would like to make to your gun.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:01 pm
Just looking for opinions on the best way to break in the bore of a new rifle. I have heard different theories and methods and was wondering if one is better than the rest?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:00 am
HDMF04 wrote:Just looking for opinions on the best way to break in the bore of a new rifle. I have heard different theories and methods and was wondering if one is better than the rest?

Just keep shooting heating and letting the barrel cool normally you'll start to feel the system break in after a while you'll see where the groupings are landing more consistently. Main key with this is shooting the same way each time, using the same exact ammunition, and cleaning the system the same way.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:55 pm
Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum HDMF04 !!

THE MYTH: If you break in your new barrel by firing a shot, cleaning, doing this five times more, then cleaning every five shots until you’ve got 100 rounds through the barrel, your bore will be glassy smooth even if it wasn’t when you started.

THE TRUTH: You will have wasted a lot of ammo, effort, patches, and solvent. Not to mention the time that you could have spent watching Ultimate Fighter reruns on the Spike Network.

( Copied & Pasted from the Field & Stream Gun Nuts...guys whose sage advice I trust !! )

http://www.fieldandstream.com/pages/gun ... rod-guides

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:06 pm
Lol thanks Shooter 13
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:12 pm
Not a problem sir...!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:34 pm
Back in 1963 dad when I finished high school dad got me a Winchester model 70 featherweight, 30-06 using sales points in some contest from Underwood typewriter. Being a poor college student, I quickly learned to reload for it going quickly to cast bullets. Throughout my college years I shot a mixture of cast and jacketed bullets and never bothered with any special "break in" or cleaning procedures. I was on a small bore rifle team and learned finer points of holding a rifle and trigger control and carried them over to my big rifle. I shot it until it was hot, let it cool and shot it more. It is probably the most accurate rifle I have owned, often giving groups less than 1/2 inch, not that I can do it anymore. Back in those days I never read anything about special barrel break in procedures, just shot it and cleaned when I got home.
JJK
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:22 am
Clean and lube is all ya need...

Return to How To's and Modifications