• Advertisement

FTF

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 pm
I have a 597 about 4-5 years old and about 7,000 rounds down and now I'm having light strikes on the rim in varied depth. I've changed out the firing pin and spring, bolt guides, bolt guide springs and blown out and oiled the action and I'm still getting light strikes. What should I look at now?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:21 am
Measure the firing pin protrusion if you can, and make sure the end of the firing pin isn't peened over from dry firing. Also see if there is dirt or powder residue inside the bolt that would limit the firing pin forward movement.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm
Scorpion8 wrote:Measure the firing pin protrusion if you can, and make sure the end of the firing pin isn't peened over from dry firing. Also see if there is dirt or powder residue inside the bolt that would limit the firing pin forward movement.

I too have this problem. My 597 is a few months old, maybe 500 rounds down the bore. Went to the range yesterday and had 6 of 10 FTF. Pulled the firing pin out and sure enough it's covered in crud. Cleaned and swabbed out the bolt. No sign of peening of the end (no dry firing). How far should the firing pin protrude? How long is the firing pin? Mine measures 2.83" There is also some (light) wear on the hammer from striking the pin, 0.010" measured with my caliper. There's no signs of wear on the firing pin, the bluing isn't even worn. I always clean the rifle after every range visit but I've never had to remove the firing pin on any rimfire. I'm also wondering as the pin holding the FP in is staked, would using a roll pin be acceptable considering the FP may need to be removed periodically for cleaning? Replace the hammer?
\

Return to Remington Autoloading Model 597