• Advertisement

R51 Take-II

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., jstanfield103

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 am
Here is a video link to my second range test of the R51. At this point, I've taken on this little pistol as a bit of a project to see if I can get it to run reliably. If any of you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know!

HRF

https://youtu.be/r4HUNEfr-j0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 pm
20 views and not a single reply? I thought someone on this forum might have a suggestion.

HRF

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 pm
Howard,
i have been swamped at work. i'll go look see now
-tdbru

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm
Howard,
one thing you mentioned was the follower pushing up on the ammo too hard, if i remember correctly. it's the spring that supplies the force to the follower.

you may indeed have a magazine issue. one thing you didn't mention at the end but referred to early in the video was keeping track of magazines. were all the malfunctions associated with one magazine?

did clipping a coil off of the magazine springs solve your issues?

did the new magazines solve your issues?

i did replace the front sight (see other posts here on the R51) to alter my R51 back to bullseye sight picture.

i've not had the functional issues that you have had. i'm liking my R51 as far as functionality. as far as accuracy, it is taking me extreme concentration and deliberate slow fire to keep a magazine full in the black at 25 yards. i think you're a much better pistol shooter.

the next trip to the range i'll mark all magazines and function test them and see if i notice any specific magazine that gives problems. so far not that i can tell. i haven't had issues lately. I've got > 500 rounds through it now. admittedly, due to cost, most of the ammo has been FMJ. with just some hollow point bullets. the Hornady 124gr. XTP in my reloads has been running flawlessly. no different than the fmjs. i will keep track and see if i have issues with HPs in each magazine as i find time to run HPs through all the mags.

thanks for doing the videos.
-tdbru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 am
tdbru wrote:Howard,
one thing you mentioned was the follower pushing up on the ammo too hard, if i remember correctly. it's the spring that supplies the force to the follower.

you may indeed have a magazine issue. one thing you didn't mention at the end but referred to early in the video was keeping track of magazines. were all the malfunctions associated with one magazine?

did clipping a coil off of the magazine springs solve your issues?

did the new magazines solve your issues?

i did replace the front sight (see other posts here on the R51) to alter my R51 back to bullseye sight picture.

i've not had the functional issues that you have had. i'm liking my R51 as far as functionality. as far as accuracy, it is taking me extreme concentration and deliberate slow fire to keep a magazine full in the black at 25 yards. i think you're a much better pistol shooter.

the next trip to the range i'll mark all magazines and function test them and see if i notice any specific magazine that gives problems. so far not that i can tell. i haven't had issues lately. I've got > 500 rounds through it now. admittedly, due to cost, most of the ammo has been FMJ. with just some hollow point bullets. the Hornady 124gr. XTP in my reloads has been running flawlessly. no different than the fmjs. i will keep track and see if i have issues with HPs in each magazine as i find time to run HPs through all the mags.

thanks for doing the videos.
-tdbru

Thanks for the feedback! To answer your question, yes, I did keep track of which magazine I was using. As it turned out, both magazines were having issues with failing to feed properly. Since that outing with the R51, I recontacted Remington customer service, and discussed the problems with another representative. He echoed the comments made by his colleague regarding the magazines being over sprung. He promptly shipped me out two magazines, and I now have them (although I have not had time to test them yet). He also suggested I clip one or two coils off the springs in my original magazines to see if that mitigated the issues I was having with them. Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll have some time to get back to the range with the R51 and see how it does now. When I do, there will be a follow-up video documenting the results.

HRF

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 pm
Howard,
have you tried clipping any magazine spring coils yet?
-tdbru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 am
tdbru wrote:Howard,
have you tried clipping any magazine spring coils yet?
-tdbru

Not yet. I was out of town all last week, and I've been quite busy since I returned. I'm hoping to make it to the range with the R51 in the next couple of days, and I'm going to give that a try. I also received two new magazines from Remington, and they are easier to load with 7 rounds than were the original mags that came with the pistol. So I want to try them out as well. With a little luck, I'll have a new video up by the beginning of next week detailing how things go.

Howard

20g
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:14 pm
Hmm sounds like a problem you should not be experiencing. Be nice if they got it right!

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:09 am
Hi HRFunk as I mentioned in other forums about the R51 it's not the magazines. The underside of that block ramp is too far forward. The original block was not designed at all like the 2nd gen R51. They need to mill that block back so the rounds don't move forward when inserting the magazine. The breach face is elongated down compared to the original also. The original was flat with the bottom of the block. They either need to mill the block ramp back so rounds don't move forward when inserting the mag or elongate the feed lips on the magazine which might and I say might stop the live ejections. I have no idea why Remington is not getting this. They need to go back to the original design only this time with better quality control. Cutting the springs does nothing when the problem isn't the magazines, it's their block ramp design. I see in your video you stated you where a police armorer, so was I. I worked on many different rifles and handguns including the awesome HK MP5 and M4's. I was both an armorer and instructor. Back to the R51 until they address this above issue the pistol will never be 100%. I love the design of the pistol and everything about but it has to work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 am
cocojo wrote:Hi HRFunk as I mentioned in other forums about the R51 it's not the magazines. The underside of that block ramp is too far forward. The original block was not designed at all like the 2nd gen R51. They need to mill that block back so the rounds don't move forward when inserting the magazine. The breach face is elongated down compared to the original also. The original was flat with the bottom of the block. They either need to mill the block ramp back so rounds don't move forward when inserting the mag or elongate the feed lips on the magazine which might and I say might stop the live ejections. I have no idea why Remington is not getting this. They need to go back to the original design only this time with better quality control. Cutting the springs does nothing when the problem isn't the magazines, it's their block ramp design. I see in your video you stated you where a police armorer, so was I. I worked on many different rifles and handguns including the awesome HK MP5 and M4's. I was both an armorer and instructor. Back to the R51 until they address this above issue the pistol will never be 100%. I love the design of the pistol and everything about but it has to work.

I agree. At this moment, my R51 is back at Remington for service by their warranty department. It will be interesting to see what is different about it when it comes back. Hopefully they will cure it, but time will tell.

Howard

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:04 pm
I can tell you what they are going to say. Tested handgun and found it functioned without issues. They might offer you some magazines or just replaced the ones you sent them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 am
cocojo wrote:I can tell you what they are going to say. Tested handgun and found it functioned without issues. They might offer you some magazines or just replaced the ones you sent them.

It would behoove them to make sure it functions properly when it returns. If it does not, I'm going to demand a refund of my purchase price or a replacement firearm.

Howard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am
I just received the email saying my R51 is on the way back to me.Keep your fingers crossed!

Howard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am
Were the gen 2 modifications to the block intended to solve a problem with the gen 1?

Return to Remington R-51