• Advertisement

Light loads and oversize O rings

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD, DHonovich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:12 pm
Starting a new thread as my previous problems now seem to be sorted.
Following the excellent advice of The Virginian I purchased some oversized O rings (BS119) but found that the bolt would not fully go into battery, thus preventing the firing pin from striking the primer. I now realise that the O rings I bought were not quite the size declared, or that I had ordered. (due to metric sizing in the UK) I borrowed an accurate micrometer and measured the various O rings that I had and also those that I have subsequently purchased. (all are declared metric sizes)

All sizes nominal, all are inner diameter;

15/16" 945 thou 24 mm

Cross section measurements

My original Remington O rings are
1/16" 59 thou 1.5mm

recently purchased:
5/64" 79 thou 2 mm

and:

3/32" 98 thou 2.5 mm

The BS119 (too big?)

7/64" 103 thou 2.62 mm

I have found that the 2mm (5/64") gas seal,(one size up from standard) allows full forward battery, the 2.5mm (3/32") seems intermittent so on my next trip to the range I shall start with the 2mm seal and 24g (7/8 oz UK no. 8 fibre wad) Bornaghi cartridges (a nice soft load that I use frequently in other guns) I shall take other size O rings and ammunition and will report back in due course
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:25 am
OK so I have now finally got the 1187 running reliably on light loads (24g - 7/8ths ounce) Following advice from The Virginian on this forum I sought out a variety of O rings. I had some original Remington ones and these were unreliable on this load.
Unfortunately, here in the UK, we are standardised with metric measurement. I therefore produced a chart so as to compare and notate the performance. Hope it helps if you are looking in the same direction;
o ring paint.png
o ring paint.png (76.59 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 am
Glad some effort and T&E has worked out to the good for you.

When I got my Charles Daly maximag, it didn't even have a oring in it. Someone had taken it long before I ever got it and had been running it that way.

I have replaced it but don't pretend to know the purpose of it, other than to reduce some of the battering when the pieces bang together.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 pm
Long time since I visited the forum!
Just an update to my previous research, I have found through working on many 1100s and 1187s that there seems to be a great deal of variation depending on age and even model types which has led me to revise my previous findings. I now use only a 2mm cross section, 24.5 mm internal diameter O ring for reliability across the whole range. I have discovered that other factors such as one or two piece piston rings, spring or cap sleeves (1187) create different operating characteristics and running up to a 2.4mm cross section ring can in fact cause a failure to achieve battery. the 2mm rings have sufficient area to prevent excess forward gas bleed while not interfering with the forward position of the piston ring when the gun is in battery.
Thankfully all my friends Remmys are functioning well and holding their own against the new kids on the block, the Benellis, Berettas and Mossbbergs. Time was, back in the day, when The 1100 was THE racegun, I wonder if all this new stuff will have the Remington longevity?

Return to Remington Model 11-87