• Advertisement

Is the .22 Magnum inaccurate?

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:35 pm
I had over time formed the opinion on a few things mainly information from media like Field & Stream Fur Fish and Game and Gun World and other pulp media.

I used to think the .22 mag was only capable of ho-hum accuracy.
I shot a few different .22 Mags that I did not own, my shooting pals would brag how accurate they were.
I just didnt see it (most were Marlin bolt actions and one 57M, a Browning Pump and 2 Rugers one bolt one lever)
I suspect the Classic Winchester 9422M would have been the best if I had chance to shoot one.
 The first .22 mag rifle I bought was a Stevens 30M the savage favorite falling block in .22 mag.
One would think it would be a tack driver it was like a over hyped sports car that gets its lunch packed by a VW Bug.
It was Ho-Hum.
Then I fell in love with a brand new stubby stainless steel Taurus 72C.
That changed my notions about many things.
#1 misconception being Taurus Rifles are runny crap in the shape of a rimfire rifle.
Thats far from the case.
#2 misconception was .22 mag = Ho-Hum accuracy. Not!
#3 misconception was short barrels vs long barrels, the long barrels win all the time.
That stubby Taurus right out of the box was a surprise in ♠️♠️♠️♠️.
Accracy, and velocity were better than the longer barreled single shot Stevens 30M!
Later on I noticed my kids Keystone Crickett single shot out performed my old trusty Marlin 100 .22LR.
That tiny carbine could actually outdistance shots from the marlin.
That got me curious so tried a long range shoot off between the .22 magnums with that stubby cute as a bug pump carbine vs. Long barreled all business single shot.
There again the pump carbine could actually cast a bullet 40 yards further than the single shot rifle!?
My boy was wanging away on the gong and he was shooting with very little hold over.
Me with my Stevens 30M looked like I was trying to shoot down WW2 aircraft as my hold over was rather noticeable.
Whats going on here?
How is it my preconceived notions that rifles are more accrate than carbines + higher velocity from longer barrels was flawed?
How can a carbine outrange a rifle?
Was it barrel constriction(choke)?
Was it how they were crowned?
Was it how chamber was cut?
Beats me, maybe a gunsmith can explain it to me.

Return to Long Guns