• Advertisement

Model 870 express Serial Number question

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:28 pm
I recently bought a used Express 870 12 Ga. The barrel is marked that it allows for 2-3/4", 3" and 3-1/4" shells if the receiver allows same. My S/N suffix is 'G' and I cannot find a 'G' suffix in any of the posted charts. Do you have any idea if my gun will support the 3-1/4' shells?
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:22 pm
If the barrel is marked for 3-1/2" shells, it should handle them without problem.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm
The receiver is different for 3-1/2" shells. If the barrel is marked for 3-1/2" it will safely shoot one, but if it is a 3" gun it will likely not feed or eject 3-1/2" shells correctly. The receivers are usually marked Magnum for 3" shells and SuperMag for 3-1/2". All the barrels will fit all the receivers.
What could have happened... did.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm
Hello, new to the forum... Just looking for some information on my grand dad's 870. I inherited it from him 20 some years ago and it has a great story behind it and someone called in to question the validity of the story that the dates didn't match and states the shot gun couldn't be that old. I believe it to be from around 1930. Could someone help with the serial number ? It reads YY and then there's a 9 right after.
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 am
1952_______ YY

From: https://www.rem870.com/gun-manufacture- ... er-lookup/

With that said, it can't be made in 1930, because the 870 was introduced in 1950. So, it can't be any older than that.

Also, the date code on a barrel may not coincide with the year the gun was made because at any point, the barrel could be changed from a newer, or even older gun than the year the year it was actually made and you'd have to contact Remington directly to have them run the serial if you think the barrel may not be original to the gun. Otherwise, the date code should match what's on the barrel.

But given the age of the gun, would lead me to believe that it is the original barrel and is an early gun. Although certainly not 1930's because the 870's weren't even made at that time.

I hope that helps. I know that may not be what you wanted to hear, but at least maybe it could help get the answers you're looking for.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION

Return to Remington Model 870