• Advertisement

Loose barrel locating

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD, DHonovich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Sorry, me again Guys, whilst troubleshooting my freebie 1187 and its gas system, which I think I now have done, I realised that all through my many assembly/disassembly's my barrel is very loose when locating it. (I noticed because a friend came round to have me clean and fit a new O ring to his new 1187 which was very tight)
What I have is a missing pin/lug to guide the barrel extension slot while locating it in the receiver. This part is not listed on any schematic and I guess, therefore, that it is factory fitted only.
When I assemble the gun and the barrel is in position, I always gently ease the action forward so the piston enters the cylinder, then fit the fore-end, mag spring and mag cap/extension tube. When all is tight there is no movement of the barrel and there are no chips which would indicate that the extractor is or has been striking the barrel edge. The vent rib lines up perfectly with the receiver.
What is your opinion of this situation? is it something common that can be rectified? Is it hazardous in any way?
As always I would be grateful for your input, I started a fresh thread as this question is unrelated (I believe) to my other previous issues and problems
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:00 pm
Barrel should be tight in the receiver with no play once installed.

I'd call Remington and see what they say about it.

I'd guess they'll tell you to send it in.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:11 pm
When the barrel is installed, it is rock solid with no play and perfectly in line. It is just while actually locating it that it is loose, as the guide pin that runs in the outside slot of the barrel extension is missing.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm
The guide pin/alignment stud in the receiver, which slides into the slot on the barrel extension, and the barrel support, which is soldered into the receiver on top of the magazine tube and bears against the flat spot on the bottom of the barrel, together are supposed to keep the barrel in rotational alignment.
I have run across guns that were shot a lot with the barrel loose where the stud to slot fit up was very loose, which I was able to solve with a small U shaped shim. If you have a good solid fit up and good alignment from the barrel support you should be okay. Remington can replace a broken alignment stud.
What could have happened... did.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm
Thank you Sir!
You really are a mine of good advice and information, openly and straightforwardly given. Perhaps you should write a book! From the Bead to the Nut on the Butt! How's that for a working title! We are indebted to you and lucky to have you on this forum, I for one have learned much from your replies to my own issues and other contributors problems. Its also obvious that you have a great affection for the venerable Remington autos, long may you continue to do so!
I shall investigate whether the Remington agents over here can indeed replace the alignment stud
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 am
They will tell you the receiver will have to be refinished after the stud is silver soldered in place. If the stud is completely gone, or you have a way of removing what is left, you can install the replacement yourself with good two part epoxy for much less money.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm
I got the run around today on the phone and feel that the uk agent is not really interested, although one person I spoke to hinted that it would be expensive!
Inspired by your post I looked again at the missing lug and realised that there was a short indent central in the circular lug surround. I found a piece of 4.5 mm brass rod and cut it to 4.1 mm length (the combined depth of the hole and the barrel extension slot) After shaping the end to fit the hole snugly. using a little 2 part epoxy I fitted it in place. When dry, I tried the barrel and amazingly it slotted in place with no rotational movement, even without the mag cap locking it down. As it is not a strength item I think that this repair will suffice
alignment lug (2).JPG
alignment lug (2).JPG (93.57 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:03 am
Looks good.

Return to Remington Model 11-87