• Advertisement

Spring Turkey is coming up

Anything and everything related to hunting can be posted here.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD

Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:30 pm
I know that we've got some folks here that are pretty serious about hunting.

Just curious if anyone else is planning on doing some spring Turkey hunting?
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 pm
I will be hitting the woods on the weekends. Just had our local NWTF Chapter Banquet last week and the spring seminar/workshop is coming up April 7th.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm
Last time I went up to the cabin, there were a lot of scratches in the leaves, but none that looked very fresh.

I may be wasting my time trying this year but that's why they call it hunting.

I know they're there, but they move around a lot.

They'll come down to the cabin every day like clockwork for a week, then you'll hear them in the next holler over for a couple of days.
-Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am
None in my area. I miss the sound of a gobbler in the hardwoods of PA many years ago.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 pm
Yeah, I love living in the Appalachian mountains.

I would be very hard to adjust trying to live anywhere else.
-Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:58 pm
Well, not to run off-topic, but black bears here are common as rabbits or deer used to be in PA. I could post up the pic of the calling card left on my front walk the other year, and the 5 bears we had (at one time) up and down the neighborhood. The game is just different. But I miss big squirrels, rabbits, turkey and such (no true small game seasons here unless you trap). It's just different.
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm
How long has it been since you've been back to PA?

I live on the KY/TN/VA border and we're covered up with them.

I hate bears as much as I do coyotes. Neither are worth a dime to me dead or alive.

-Me

Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:39 pm
Had my cameras out a couple of weeks now, and have gotten pics of the regular crowd, plus several deer that are new (4 new young ones). It wasn't really a mild winter, but surely wasn't as bad as several in recent memory. So, was a good year for the deers.

I have a few different gobblers coming in, but if there are less than 4 or 6, I will likely skip this spring season so I won't put any more pressure on them than the damn coyotes. I think instead of turkey hunting this spring, I'm going to set up a caller and see how many yotes I can knock down instead.

-Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am
John A. wrote:How long has it been since you've been back to PA?

We got back as tourists just a few years ago, but not on any regular basis. Might go back this fall for a HS reunion.
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:03 pm
Got my MI Thunderchicken a short while back (Sorry I thought I had posted it already!!

I got out well before light and got set up in the deer/turkey blind I have been using for the last few years. I had not had much time to scout this season so I figured I would hunt here this morning and adjust accordingly.

It was a pretty loud morning with lots of geese and cranes chattering all around the field, silenced only by the intermittent rainfall. I got out a bit before shooting hours so I had a chance to just sit and take in the sounds of the morning before I got into hunt mode. Once it got light I could hear an occasional gobble in the distance but nothing responded to my calls. I had two decoys set up. One was a hen and the other was a strutting tom with a real fan as the tail. I normally don't like to use this first off but I figured what the heck.

About 90 minutes had passed from the start of shooting hours and I was watching some geese in the field when some motion caught my eye and I looked up to see a tom checking out my decoys. By the time I saw him he was looking a little nervous but I was able to get a shot off before he decided he didn't like my decoys.

He came in totally silent so I do not know if he came into the call or the decoys, either way the plan came together. and after about 90 minutes of hunting I tagged out in MI.

He was only about 10 yards away, if that, when I shot him. I had run out and gram him as he did a fair amount of flapping around. I was covered in mud by the time he was done.

He did not have very big spurs but he was a nice bird

MikeMITurkey_2018_001.jpg
MikeMITurkey_2018_001.jpg (252.16 KiB) Viewed 6219 times

MikeMITurkey_2018_002.jpg
MikeMITurkey_2018_002.jpg (210.66 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan

Return to Hunting