• Advertisement

Received your new redesigned R51 yet?

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., jstanfield103

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm
That's interesting, almost zero communication from Remington to its R51 owners in two years and now they are calling you about your new R51 experience? Sounds backwards, but at least they are putting forth an effort now.

As far as your love for the Gen 2, I share your feelings (so far)
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:19 pm
I have been through a couple hundred rounds so far (approx. 400) and was on the fence whether to shoot it until it malfunctions due to not cleaning it, or just go ahead and clean it. Well, I cleaned it, and just a quick report. Very little slide wear to be seen. My only comparison would be RoH's youtube video and his has considerably more wear. He had more wear under the slide on his bench review (before shooting it himself) than I do now. Maybe they shot more R51's at the factory more than others? I dunno, but mine had almost no wear right after I picked it up from my FFL. Either they shot ALOT of rounds out of his gun than mine or he has a lemon. Also to note, my Gen 1 had a lot of scratches on the slide bushing with little shooting, looked like someone used a wire brush on it. My Gen 2 is yet to show a mark of any kind. Very smooth.

I guess for me, I find it all interesting.
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:18 pm
remmy wrote:I have been through a couple hundred rounds so far (approx. 400) and was on the fence whether to shoot it until it malfunctions due to not cleaning it, or just go ahead and clean it. Well, I cleaned it, and just a quick report. Very little slide wear to be seen. My only comparison would be RoH's youtube video and his has considerably more wear. He had more wear under the slide on his bench review (before shooting it himself) than I do now. Maybe they shot more R51's at the factory more than others? I dunno, but mine had almost no wear right after I picked it up from my FFL. Either they shot ALOT of rounds out of his gun than mine or he has a lemon. Also to note, my Gen 1 had a lot of scratches on the slide bushing with little shooting, looked like someone used a wire brush on it. My Gen 2 is yet to show a mark of any kind. Very smooth.

https://youtu.be/fUAPd-3GW5M
They're referring to RoH.

I just don't get the feeling he knows much of what he's saying and he has very few subscribers. There's better places to learn on YouTube.

Even this guy
https://youtu.be/VS3HZwBt-bs
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:06 pm
better yet, this guy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAPd-3GW5M
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:07 pm
AmericanPride wrote:
remmy wrote:I have been through a couple hundred rounds so far (approx. 400) and was on the fence whether to shoot it until it malfunctions due to not cleaning it, or just go ahead and clean it. Well, I cleaned it, and just a quick report. Very little slide wear to be seen. My only comparison would be RoH's youtube video and his has considerably more wear. He had more wear under the slide on his bench review (before shooting it himself) than I do now. Maybe they shot more R51's at the factory more than others? I dunno, but mine had almost no wear right after I picked it up from my FFL. Either they shot ALOT of rounds out of his gun than mine or he has a lemon. Also to note, my Gen 1 had a lot of scratches on the slide bushing with little shooting, looked like someone used a wire brush on it. My Gen 2 is yet to show a mark of any kind. Very smooth.

https://youtu.be/fUAPd-3GW5M
They're referring to RoH.

I just don't get the feeling he knows much of what he's saying and he has very few subscribers. There's better places to learn on YouTube.

Maybe not, but pictures don't lie, wear on his R51 is far from what I'm seeing on mine....

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:56 pm
I am not seeing any signs of abnormal wear on the slide, breech block or rails on the frame of my R51.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:41 am
http://www.realguns.com/articles/847.htm

I wonder who they were referring to. Hmm...

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:34 pm
AmericanPride wrote:http://www.realguns.com/articles/847.htm

I wonder who they were referring to. Hmm...

Nice to see someone besides me will admit to incorrect assembly of the slide stop spring.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:58 am
Ditto, just blamed my ineptness
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 pm
I think every R51 owner has done it at least once. Its one of those things you do it, realize your mistake and it never seems to happen a second time.

I agree with the editor in the article, I think the barrel spring is alittle bit too stiff. If I had the Gen 2 slide with a Gen 1 spring, that would be one smooth slide (aside the "hitch" with the breech block) and I would assume would still cycle fine (?). The Gen 1 metal trigger would be welcomed back by me as well. Maybe in the next few months someone will come out with an aftermarket trigger that's more desirable.

Keep posting your range reports guys, overall good news with the Gen 2 getting the job done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:31 am
Just curious if any of the folks who have received the new R51's have tried the first generation magazines. I took the R1 in trade but still have the magazines for the R51. Not sure if I will get the new R51 yet.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:28 am
The follower is shaped differently and hence will not work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:01 pm
I put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through mine today. Used the old magazine and the new ones. I forgot what a nice shooting gun it is. It took a while to get used to the single action trigger because I've been shooting my double-action guns a lot lately, but overall it functioned well. I had 2 stovepipes and 2 failures to feed. The failures to feed both occurred on the new magazines where the bullet hung on that little indentation on the top front of the mag that holds the follower in. I think that might be remedied with a pair of needle-nosed pliers if it turns out to be a problem. I also fed it some generic Independence brand hollowpoints and it didn't have any problem with those. The thing I was worried about but am most relieved about after firing is the spent cases don't have any of the out of battery primer bulges that the old one did. Just a nice little well-behaved primer strike. I checked them out with my calipers afterwards and didn't find any evidence of bulges toward the case head either, although the soot pattern shows some lack of support in the chamber probably to aid feeding. There were no lock-ups or failures to extract like I had before either. Now there is one concern-I had forgotten how nice it was to shoot, but I also forgot what a bear it is to take apart and put back together with only two hands. I shot the spring across the room to a dust bunny and dog hair haven under the couch. I fiddled quite a while to get the barrel back in and it finally snapped in and I got it back together but when I dry-fired I noticed I forgot to put the breech block back in! I wrestled with it for 25 minutes trying to get it back apart and don't quite have the hang of it yet so I put it away and will look for my trusty rubber mallet before I start again-I know there's a secret to this. One other thing I noticed in the take-down is that the ejector is hinged at the back so you can move it up out of the way to clean the shelf that the breech block sits on-I don't recall it being that way before. All in all, I think it's a keeper if I can just get it back together again.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:43 pm
Remington.com has a good disassembly/reassembly vid on the R51. Check it out and see if that helps.

Thanks for the info on your experience.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:43 am
I was an early buyer of the first generation R51 and had very little trouble with mine other than the strange looking primer dimples after firing. Took the R1 in trade and really like it. Bought the RM380 and can honestly say it has never failed in over 500 rounds.

My local FFL had a 2nd generation R51 for $360 OTD and since I had four 1st generation mags I bought it. Took it out yesterday with 6 fully loaded magazine with three types of ammo and had 100% failures. It was like having a single shot pistol. Shot great as far as accuracy and feel but the slide would stop every time on the way back with the empty cartridge just about clear of the chamber. Also had those same strange looking dimples on the primers.

I've taken it down and do not see any obvious marks, burrs, or wear. This one is even harder to take down than the first one. I'm sure Remington will make it right but I'm really let down over this.

Do any of you guys see the same marking on the primer where it looks like some of the primer is raised up and may have flowed back over the firing pin??

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:20 pm
Ok, finally got it apart. Without the breech block, the slide was hanging up on the hammer. Ordinarily when you pull the slide back, the block pushes the hammer down and cocks it. In reassembling it wrong without the breech block, I had the hammer up or dry fired it, then when I pulled the slide back, it would keep getting hung up on the hammer when it tried to move forward. The fix is to pull the slide back then, while holding it open, stick a pencil or something inside and push back against the hammer until it is down. Then the slide will move forward and off. It's like a Japanese motorcycle-everything fits fine but you have to put it back together in exactly the right order. Whew, thought I was going to be calling Remington tech support on this one.
Previous

Return to Remington R-51