• Advertisement

Any word on returns ?

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., jstanfield103

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 am
My R51 has been in for 4 weeks, and no word yet. I figured what's the point in calling them. With all that's going on with these pistols maybe they will replace it with an updated version. You should be able to rely on any gun that you own to function properally and save you life if needed. the R51 was always going to be just a shooter for me. I've got many other guns to carry for protection. When the R51 comes back I'll put it through the paces and it may one day find its way into the carry rotation, if not I'll just shoot it.

TD

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:40 pm
ToneDeath wrote:My R51 has been in for 4 weeks, and no word yet. I figured what's the point in calling them. With all that's going on with these pistols maybe they will replace it with an updated version. You should be able to rely on any gun that you own to function properally and save you life if needed. the R51 was always going to be just a shooter for me. I've got many other guns to carry for protection. When the R51 comes back I'll put it through the paces and it may one day find its way into the carry rotation, if not I'll just shoot it.

TD

I may also shoot mine when/if it returns to me. The main difference is that mine may be the target.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:27 pm
That's funny right there! ^
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 pm
lklawson wrote:
maccountrypilot wrote:As soon as I get it back I am going to sell it!!
Why? As a protest? All that will do is give the next guy a good deal on a factory serviced and updated firearm.

Keep it. Shoot it. See if the bugs are worked out before getting mad and selling. You might save yourself some money.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Not sure I agree with you. After all it is my property to do with as I see fit. If you really want to know the truth, I had given serious thoughts of taking the pistol and running it through an industrial press and hang the crushed remains as wall art. Upon further reflection, that would only serve to diminish the quality of my art collection by having that piece of junk there ... even if the remains could be loosely construed as art.

Now all sarcasm aside, my feeling on the R51 is plain and simple. It was designed and built broken! If I have anyone to be mad at ... it is myself. I should have waited for a good manufacturer to come to the marketplace. Point in case ... potentially it could be the Walther CCP. Time will tell.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 pm
might as well trade it in for something reliable for a ccw. I did and didn't lose a dime on my transaction. Hell, I was just happy to finally find a LGS that wanted my R51 for trade. A few LGS's didn't show much interest, cant blame 'em. I said it before, the issues this thing has is no way just 'first year bugs'. I admit, I jumped on the R51 wagon as soon as I could too, but I know when its time to get off and move on, so I did.
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:44 am
remmy wrote:might as well trade it in for something reliable for a ccw. I did and didn't lose a dime on my transaction. Hell, I was just happy to finally find a LGS that wanted my R51 for trade. A few LGS's didn't show much interest, cant blame 'em. I said it before, the issues this thing has is no way just 'first year bugs'. I admit, I jumped on the R51 wagon as soon as I could too, but I know when its time to get off and move on, so I did.

I definitely hear what you are saying. My problem is ... I am an FFL dealer ... So the guy who gets the deal is the guy I sell it to!

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 pm
Ok ... it is like this

I sent my R51 back 3 months ago and still nothing. I managed to talk to the Senior V.P and General Manager of Remington handguns. Based on that conversation I have asked for a refund. It is my opinion that Remington is no where close to fixing the issues with this pistol. It is time for me to cut my losses and move on. I wish the best of luck to the rest of you ... but as for me I am totally done with Remington.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:12 pm
I'm still waiting for Remington to announce successful fixes and a designated area in their facility to make all R51 issues disappear in a timely manner so we can all get our 'new' R51s back to the range for some practice & pleasure shooting And have some peace of mind in this gun that it will be a candidate for concealed carry. "Confidence" in the R51... Hmmm, I must still be dreaming, huh? Heh-heh!

C'mon Remington! Let's do this thing.

So, what's the latest anyone has heard or experienced?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:29 pm
Rick 51/ R51 wrote:I'm still waiting for Remington to announce successful fixes and a designated area in their facility to make all R51 issues disappear in a timely manner so we can all get our 'new' R51s back to the range for some practice & pleasure shooting And have some peace of mind in this gun that it will be a candidate for concealed carry. "Confidence" in the R51... Hmmm, I must still be dreaming, huh? Heh-heh!

C'mon Remington! Let's do this thing.

So, what's the latest anyone has heard or experienced?

As I type this I am on hold for the Repair department for the past 1.5 hours this after spending 2 hours last Friday on hold and never got a human. I want a refund plain and simple.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:30 pm
Damn-it! Damn-it! Damn-it!!!!! What the hell has happened to our heritage? I guess this is an example of the 'new' "American Way" of supporting the "American Made" products that we "Americans" spend our hard-earned "American" dollars for. It's all the DAMNED BEAN COUNTERS running the industries who can't understand quality craftsmanship and obviously don't give a damn about anything but that DAMNED ALMIGHTY DOLLAR and PROFIT!!!
I hear ya draidt. I did the same last week, but... I did manage to get a human by using their "leave a message for call-back" option after the 3rd time I called in. They called me back in less than 15 minutes. Don't know how dependable that is, but it worked for me the one time I used it.
Gosh, I hate to see anyone giving up on this thing before 'they' have announced any repair successes or 'their' admission to failure (cannot be fixed by us) and extend refunds to all who want them. Mine are in my safe waiting. Shooting my Colt, S&W, Sig, & old 51 pleasurably and forgetting about the R51s for now.
Off to the range now...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:51 pm
Rick 51/ R51 wrote:As I type this I am on hold for the Repair department for the past 1.5 hours this after spending 2 hours last Friday on hold and never got a human. I want a refund plain and simple.

Finally got a human and asked for a refund initiation, There was no hesitating, I am to send in via Email the copy of my repair ticket and a copy of the purchase invoice to info@remington.com with a attn line of the person I spoke to. She indicated that my full purchase price will be refunded. Time will tell. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:27 pm
draidt wrote:
Rick 51/ R51 wrote:As I type this I am on hold for the Repair department for the past 1.5 hours this after spending 2 hours last Friday on hold and never got a human. I want a refund plain and simple.

Finally got a human and asked for a refund initiation, There was no hesitating, I am to send in via Email the copy of my repair ticket and a copy of the purchase invoice to info@remington.com with a attn line of the person I spoke to. She indicated that my full purchase price will be refunded. Time will tell. Stay tuned.

I received a acknowledgement response from the E-Mail I sent, I have a new ticket number with the message that a initial response will follow shortly. Progress I guess. For those of you still waiting for a "fix" or redesign my impression was due to the immediate -agreement to issue a refund when I mentioned R51 upon the collaborating paper work copies, Indicates to me they are no where near a resolution. Take it for what it's worth. Really liked the look, feel,trigger and intuitive aiming of the R51 but I will move on.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 pm
I received a acknowledgement response from the E-Mail I sent, I have a new ticket number with the message that a initial response will follow shortly. Progress I guess. For those of you still waiting for a "fix" or redesign my impression was due to the immediate -agreement to issue a refund when I mentioned R51 upon the collaborating paper work copies, Indicates to me they are no where near a resolution. Take it for what it's worth. Really liked the look, feel,trigger and intuitive aiming of the R51 but I will move on.[/quote]

I'm right beside you on that one draidt. Rather than the refund on the 2 I bought, I put them back in their boxes and on the bottom shelf of my safe. Gonna sit on them for awhile just in case Remington comes through.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 pm
Lets face it guys ... Remington has no idea of how to fix the problems. In fact, they appear to be quite clueless. Not to mention, their customer service really is totally lack luster. Hours on hold? Still not getting an answer??

As for me the answer is clear. I am supremely confident that Remington is struggling with a failed design and has no way of fixing the problems while maintaining the costs. I personally have talked with one of the chief executives at Remington and I am convinced that they are working hard but not getting anywhere fast. Therefore,I have asked for a refund. It saddens me to do this. I really wanted the R51 to work. Maybe the thing to do is wait and see what Remington does in the months to come.

In the meantime, I sort of have my eye on the Walther CCP. This is also a single stack 9mm with the soft recoil and easy racking ideas purported by the R51. I saw and handled the CCP at the NRA show a few months ago and I found it quite impressive.

Now I have to tell you guys I have the big brother to that Walther. It is the PPQ and I am in love with that gun. Having said that, I am really anxious to see what the CCP has in store.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:01 pm
After several emails and several calls I finally talked to an actual person today and they are issuing me a refund. When I asked why they never responded to my tons of emails regarding my pistol (because they can not be reached by phone) I was told that all my emails were marked as "irrelevant." Now that is some awesome customer service. I will never buy another Remington product again.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 pm
R1V3R5 wrote:After several emails and several calls I finally talked to an actual person today and they are issuing me a refund. When I asked why they never responded to my tons of emails regarding my pistol (because they can not be reached by phone) I was told that all my emails were marked as "irrelevant." Now that is some awesome customer service. I will never buy another Remington product again.

Sounds like you were one of their valued customers (note the sarcasm). I was just at http://www.1911r1.com/ and seen they were advertising " .....[b]Recieve[b] 200 rounds Remington 45 auto HTP...." If they cant spell correctly on their headlining promo.....makes me think they will hire about anyone off the street....including their R51 design engineer.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:56 pm
Not sure what I'll do once you all get your $$ back from Remington...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:20 pm
I had already bought an XDs9mm before I returned my R51 for repairs. The XDs has been perfect so far, (about 500 rounds). I liked it so well that I bought an XDs45 and like it even better.
I have also bought a Ruger SR9C that is a very good gun.
I requested and have received a full refund of my purchase price of the R51.
I have said this before, I am VERY disappointed in Remington and have sold all Remington products that I had. :(
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 am
Springfield does make a good product in the XDs series...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:06 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Springfield does make a good product in the XDs series...

I looked at those and like Springfield. But I wanted an American made firearm and the XD series is made in Croatia. :(
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:26 pm
R1V3R5 wrote:

I looked at those and like Springfield. But I wanted an American made firearm and the XD series is made in Croatia. :(

I was in the same boat as you for a slim concealable USA made gun. I wanted a xds 9, no doubt a sweet gun all around, but the whole Croatia made idea instead of Geneseo IL kinda swayed me to the S&W Shield 9 (also available in 40) USA made with a lifetime warranty. Over at the S&W forum it seems like S&W warranty/CS is second to none. You will find few complaints on any of these two guns. As mentioned before I have done away with the R51 but still have many Remingtons that have and still serve me well. As much as a cuss the R51 if they had a good quality R51 in the future I would have to say I would probably consider one now that I have another gun for conceal carry. The bottom line is Remington is made in America and still produces good products, I give the Versa max high praise(870's, 1100's etc) and I hear their 1911's are good. However I was recently tainted by the R51 and that's left a bad taste in my mouth for now. Any company in America that keeps jobs in our country is hard to turn your back on IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:04 pm
remmy wrote:
R1V3R5 wrote:

I was in the same boat as you for a slim concealable USA made gun. I wanted a xds 9, no doubt a sweet gun all around, but the whole Croatia made idea instead of Geneseo IL kinda swayed me to the S&W Shield 9 (also available in 40) USA made with a lifetime warranty. Over at the S&W forum it seems like S&W warranty/CS is second to none. You will find few complaints on any of these two guns. As mentioned before I have done away with the R51 but still have many Remingtons that have and still serve me well. As much as a cuss the R51 if they had a good quality R51 in the future I would have to say I would probably consider one now that I have another gun for conceal carry. The bottom line is Remington is made in America and still produces good products, I give the Versa max high praise(870's, 1100's etc) and I hear their 1911's are good. However I was recently tainted by the R51 and that's left a bad taste in my mouth for now. Any company in America that keeps jobs in our country is hard to turn your back on IMO.

Before my Xds and my R51, I had a Shield 9mm for several months. No problems with, it, I just did not care for how it felt when shooting. I also had a Kimber Solo, as well as a Sig 938. I had no problems with any of those guns.
Since the XDs, I have also bought a Ruger SR9c Its OK but not perfect.
If/when I find the perfect gun for me, I will buy it no matter where it is made.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:29 pm
Well...besides my tried and true Remington rifles...I own S&W's, SIG's, Colts, Rugers, Brownings, Walthers, Auto Ordnance's, Para Ordnance's, Mossberg's (pump shotguns),Winchesters and Marlin (rifles)...even Kel Tec's. All function fine and serve their purpose. If you do a search, you can view them all right here on this forum.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 pm
UPDATE ... UPDATE ... UPDATE

Ok I did return my R51 3 months ago to Remington. Three weeks ago I finally got tired of waiting for the fix to the R51's issues. At that point I asked for a refund. The check did arrive today and they did pay me the total from my retail receipt. I have no hard feeling towards Remington. They did act reasonably quickly in the process of the refund. I wish them and you all the best of luck. As for me ... the idea of having a slim single stack 9mm pistol for conceal carry still is important. I am now looking towards the Walther PPS as possibly being that weapon. Also on the radar is the soon to be released Walther CCP. At least I now have the funds necessary to purchase something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:55 pm
Glad it worked out for you. As I've posted before, I'm going to ride it out and hope they do announce a fix for the R51. If they do not do something by the end of this year that will make me consider other options. The CCP or Shield may be in my future.

Did get a deal on two extra R51 mags from another forum member who received a refund!
PreviousNext

Return to Remington R-51