• Advertisement

Remington 887 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:18 pm
With new gun some shells have problems, like i had with GameBore 38g birdshots, the casing was thicker than on other brands causing the shell to get stuck on the ejector claw if you didnt cycle it with a lot of force, and when that happens i had to pull the action back again to unjam it causing a double feed because the first one didnt eject (Stuck under the claw..)

That however fixed itself with some use, tight tolerances and stuff but now i have an opposite problem with what i think is the same part on the gun that is causing your double feed issue. Often it doesnt feed at all, that thingy on the ejection port side of the gun that makes sure only 1 shell comes out at a time from the mag tube gets stuck in closed position, effectively stopping any rounds coming from the magazine tube - this could be fixed by adjusting the stopper arm (See later posts..)
Last edited by Grodin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:50 pm
Well it seems i was on the right track, ill try to explain how i fixed it...

The rail on right side of the trigger unit that prevents more than 1 round coming from the tube at once wasnt disengaging enough to let shells pass. You had the opposite problem, it was disengaged all the time letting all the shells through causing double feeds.

I used pliers to make the profile of that small notch on the top of that rail a bit steeper to make it disengage more aggressively + moving the tip on the end that stops the shells closer to the edge so it doesnt need to be moved as much to let the shells pass.

If the gun is letting multiple shells in you would have to do the opposite if the problem is on that part. If the action levers are timed wrong from the factory then it wont help..

Anyone doing this should be really careful, i have no idea how well the metal parts handle being forcefully twisted to another position. Prefer warranty if you have one, over here warranty works for crap so fixing these or atleast trying to fix them is less of a headache.
Last edited by Grodin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 pm
Grodin,

I do not believe you were the one who explained it to me wrong, however you are spot on now. I received the following response from Remington Customer Service today:

"I have a new trigger plate assembly on the way to you. You should receive it within the next 7-10 days. Thank you again for your service, and I hope this new trigger plate assembly gets you up and running for good. If you ever need anything else, feel free to contact us, and we'll be glad to help any way we can."

Once I get the new trigger plate assembly I will take pics and compare the two side by side. I'll post any findings here.

On a side note the older 887s had a similar issue to what I have, Remington redesigned the trigger group to eliminate the problem. Here are the pictures of the old style vs new style, courtesy of a feller I met from another forum. The old deffective one is on the left in the top pic. Bottom pic the old one has the flag sticking off the right side.

T.P.Assembly2.jpg
T.P.Assembly2.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 29703 times

T.P.Assembly3.jpg
T.P.Assembly3.jpg (152.9 KiB) Viewed 29703 times

I have the new style, just happened to get one of the new ones that the timing is off (seems it is simply bending tabs like you stated). More to follow, hope this helps.
Last edited by Secret Squirrel on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:55 pm
Gunsumer reports did a great job breaking down the 887 Tactical, this thread may help troubleshoot by helping you to identify/communicate your issue.

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_r ... cal_p4.php

at the bottom of the page there are more threads concerning the 887 Tactical.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 pm
Now since thats out of the way, we can start working on the next issue, dear god remington :roll:

Can someone take a picture of the point where barrel meets the receiver, from the top, it seems like my barrel is rotated counter clockwise so much the top part of the receiver barely meets with the top part of the barrel.. i dont think this affects the accuracy because i have the normal model and sights are on the barrel but it just looks way off..
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 pm
Grodin,

Tried to post pics with no luck. The link below shows the pics you requested. Figure 17 and 22

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_r ... cal_p3.php

Squirrel

Edit: You don't have the tatical version do you? Does it matter or are they molded the same?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Yeah, it looks like mine is way off.

Should be molded the same, however this shouldnt have too much effect on the normal version since there are no sights on the receiver :(
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm
Your not the only one with this issue, I've read of others. Some actually had bent barrels because their shots were way off. Others had loose barrels? I would send Remington an email with the pic you posted and at least ask the question.

Keep it positive, let them know you are a loyal Remington customer and you love the 887. "I just noticed the barrel is twisted" please advise? Takes about a week for them to respond. Include your contact information, home address (so they can ship the part out), and the 887 serial number. Who knows they may send you a new barrel or receiver.

I used the following link and sent an email to headquarters, I am very pleased with the result.

http://www.remington.com/sitecore/conte ... -info.aspx

Corporate Headquarters

Remington Arms Company, LLC
870 Remington Drive
P.O. Box 700
Madison, NC 27025-0700

TEL: 1-800-243-9700
Fax: 1-336-548-7801
Email Us / Online Help Center
Directions & Map
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 pm
The Trigger Group from Remington arrived yesterday. When compared side by side it's clear what the issue was. Here are some pics, first the side by side. Then the new one and last is the old one with the issues mentioned above.

Seems to be an easy fix, but I am not a gunsmith. If I were to attempt to realign I'd change the angle with an adjustable wrench. Works great on bending sheet metal on my muscle cars.

Overall I am very pleased with Remingtons customer service, plus I have $100s worth of spare parts.
Attachments
Side by side.jpg
Side by side.jpg (210.25 KiB) Viewed 29677 times
New Trigger 1.jpg
Has Gap
New Trigger 1.jpg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 29677 times
Old Trigger 1.jpg
No Gap
Old Trigger 1.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 29677 times
Last edited by Secret Squirrel on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 pm
Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith, this should be attempted by a qualified technician. Edit ... found a better place to bend it (See next post)
Attachments
JUST A GUESS.jpg
JUST A GUESS.jpg (158.01 KiB) Viewed 29677 times
Last edited by Secret Squirrel on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm
After closer inspection, I did not want to bend reinforced metal. Then the light bulb went off, remove the arm.

1 - Grab the pin springs with your fingernail and rotate them off the shaft from the round end.
2- Once both spings are removed pull the arm off and make a small adjustment.
3- Put arm on, then springs (slip straight end into groove then rotate on)

Back together in 30 seconds. Take it to a gunsmith ... $5.00 repair? Just took it out into the woods, gun feeds and cycles great! Below is the old one after the repair and a pic of the arm removed.
Attachments
Repaired.jpg
Repaired.jpg (166.06 KiB) Viewed 27763 times
Another Option.jpg
Another Option.jpg (155.59 KiB) Viewed 27763 times
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 am
Thanks for the great info and pics S Squirrel
If you can't sell it don't buy it
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:54 pm
vmax wrote:Thanks for the great info and pics S Squirrel

No worries! It was very easy to fix, irony is I needed the new part to see how the timing was off on the old part. I hope this post helps at least one more person. We all know what it feels like when things don't work as they should. Not knowing why is the worst part. We all are looking for answers so I'm giving back to those who replied to my problem.

The 887 is truely a simple design, but as with all things mechanical I'm sure I'll be back here researching another issue as time goes on. Think of it as routine maintenance, eventually we'll be the 887 experts.

The important things are Remington stepped up to the plate, I have a new trigger group spare worth 100 bones, my old trigger group was super easy to fix (i.e. my 887 works great), and it's a blast to shoot. As a bonus I joined a great forum and I learned y'all somethin bout my boom stick. That's a good day right there!

I hope the next issue I have has already been solved and posted by the time I come back to research!

8-)

Squirrel

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm
Secret Squirrel wrote:Well I took the shotgun apart and cleaned/oiled it, then took it out into the woods to test fire.

First try - Pulled the trigger ... Boom, figured I was too slow on the Cycle ... maybe???

Second try - Loaded the shells and tried it again, Boom ... but now I am unable to move the slide to cycle the next round. Yanking it with all my might breaks it free.

Third try - Loaded the weapon, pulled the trigger Boom, cycled fast and two shells fly out. One empty and another live round. I look in through the ejection port and there is still one more live round ready to be chambered just hanging out like the third wheel on a date.

Fourth try - pick up the round off the ground clean it load the weapon again. Pull the trigger Boom, go to cycle and it is seized up again. So I yank and yank till it pops free.

Walk to the house defeated, so what do I do now? Hopefully Remington will have the answer?

More to follow
the problem lies with the rotating bolt that seizes in its guides, polish the bolt lugs and guides, extraction problem solved, the bore is also very tight, remove 2 thou using a flexi hone, only hone the case head area of the breech.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm
ericso82 wrote:I've had my 887 for a week and a day. I've taken it out four times and put about 100-200 2-3/4 birdshot shells through it each time. I have cleaned it twice, once after the first outing and again after two more outings. I have had two problems:

Problem 1: The gun jams, probably once in about 20-30 rounds. I don't know if it is user error. What happens is the round does not get seated in the carrier properly and the side of the round hits the side of the chamber as it's being loaded. I will call Remington about this. I'm thinking a solution would be to dremel down the chamber where the round is hitting.

Problem 2: The gun will also mis-fire (light-strikes). This is reproducible. When a round is loaded into the chamber, there is some play in the forend; you can jiggle it back and forth about ⅛”. When the forend is pushed forward, towards the muzzle, the gun will fire every time. But if you pull the forend towards you, the gun will mis-fire. This is because when the forend is pulled back towards the shooter, the bolt carrier pulls away from the bolt head. When this happens, the firing pin does not extrude from the bolt head as much because there is more distance for it to travel, resulting in a mis-fire.

pulled_backward_opt.jpg

pushed_forward_opt.jpg

Has anyone experienced these problems?

i had exactly the same problems as your problem #1, to overcome this you have to polish the rotating bolt lugs and guides, you will notice that the tooling marks and burrs have not been removed by remington, their quality control is out the window, remove the burrs and make sure the bolt rotates freely in its guides, the bolt head must also be lubricated using omega anti seize compound, the bore on the 887 is also too tight on tolerance compared to quality european over under shotguns, i found it neccessary to remove 2 thou fron the breech internal diameter making it the same as the fn browning over under shotgun, only hone the head area of the breech, approx the first 3/4 inch or so, i overcame all the 887 problems myself, remington were less than helpful and so were their stocking agents, they did'nt have a clue, simply maintained that their product was on spec, quite clearly not so !!, well my "black lemon" works perfectly now thanks, goes boom every time and ejects its empty cases as a shotgun should, reminton need to get their act together, this is the worst quality shotgun i have ever had to work on, anyhow problem solved and off to the range for some combat shooting

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 am
Ouman, or anyone else, can you provide a picture on what areas to polish. I'd like to try this method on my 887 Tactical to mitigate or resolve the jamming issues I'm too experiencing.

Sorry... I'm new to shotguns and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:11 am
Hello, im new to shot guns and this is my first owned. Ive got the 887 tactical and am having a lot of problems chambering a shell. First time i shot it i got about 7 or 8 shells through with no problem. Then after that its been nothing but problems. When racking 2 3/4 shells it jams really hard. Im talking so hard to the point that you have to slam the butt while holding the slide to get the action to break loose. However on a good note thats the only problem ive had. Considering i havent even made it through a box of shells yet. Any input would be great and thanks in advance.
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:13 pm
stinnett25 wrote:Hello, im new to shot guns and this is my first owned. Ive got the 887 tactical and am having a lot of problems chambering a shell. First time i shot it i got about 7 or 8 shells through with no problem. Then after that its been nothing but problems. When racking 2 3/4 shells it jams really hard. Im talking so hard to the point that you have to slam the butt while holding the slide to get the action to break loose. However on a good note thats the only problem ive had. Considering i havent even made it through a box of shells yet. Any input would be great and thanks in advance.

Projektzero wrote:Ouman, or anyone else, can you provide a picture on what areas to polish. I'd like to try this method on my 887 Tactical to mitigate or resolve the jamming issues I'm too experiencing.

Sorry... I'm new to shotguns and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!

I would advise against removing metal unless you are a gunsmith, polishing is one thing. You can call Remington Customer service to ask for advise, have them fix it, or you can do the following;

Have you taken the weapon apart and cleaned off the tacky non-lube from factory? I had the same thing happen a few times right out of the box.

Once I lubed my 887 and fired it a few times the problem stopped, think of it as a break in (as clearances are real tight). If you are new, watch a few youtube videos and refer to the links already posted in the 887 threads.

Don't give up on it, mine has been awesome, not one single issue since I broke her in.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 pm
New owner of an 887 Nitro Tactical - 2nd shotgun, First Remington. Made it through 7 rounds yesterday at the range, the 8th fired then jammed the forend. Gunsmith onsite tried to release it but the bolt release was "in" and would not pop back out. I got home and removed the trigger assy. After some time I got it released and then cleaned the assy. It's still a bit "sticky" at best. Called Remington - was told I would get an email with instructions to return the entire gun, would take 6-8 weeks turnaround to get it back. My Brand new Gun! After some whining they guy said he would replace the trigger assy but only after receiving my old one. Geeez, not the customer service I expected. Doubt I'll have another Rem. after this though I know manuf. junk gets out. I didn't argue about the price of the gun but I DO expect a firearm from a company like Rem. to work properly and when it doesn't to get exceptional cust. support. ...and to think I almost went with the 590A1.

To Quote their advertisement for this gun: "The most durable shotgun on the planet". :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:30 pm
toomanyhobbies wrote:New owner of an 887 Nitro Tactical - 2nd shotgun, First Remington. Made it through 7 rounds yesterday at the range, the 8th fired then jammed the forend. Gunsmith onsite tried to release it but the bolt release was "in" and would not pop back out. I got home and removed the trigger assy. After some time I got it released and then cleaned the assy. It's still a bit "sticky" at best. Called Remington - was told I would get an email with instructions to return the entire gun, would take 6-8 weeks turnaround to get it back. My Brand new Gun! After some whining they guy said he would replace the trigger assy but only after receiving my old one. Geeez, not the customer service I expected. Doubt I'll have another Rem. after this though I know manuf. junk gets out. I didn't argue about the price of the gun but I DO expect a firearm from a company like Rem. to work properly and when it doesn't to get exceptional cust. support. ...and to think I almost went with the 590A1.

To Quote their advertisement for this gun: "The most durable shotgun on the planet". :roll:

Hey!

Sorry to hear you had this issue as well.

Many people get this with a new gun, theres usually no need to replace anything, often this happens because of tolerances in the chamber, simply polishing it or firing some more rounds will fix this.

Happens because the brass in some shells expands when firing or is slightly too big to begin with, so the brass gets stuck in the chamber. I always managed to eject it just by slamming the action back hard enough but obviously this is not recommended...

Mine fixed itself after 100 shots or so when the chamber wore down a bit.

Now my gun works 100%, no jams no feeding issues whatsoever, quite happy with it now even it had a crappy start like your gun.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm
Thanks Grodin - I was going to send the trigger off but worked on it bit and think I have it working ok now. I'm going to shoot some more this week at the range then decide what to do. Question for you/others as I can't recall - unloaded I can cycle the forend without depressing the release button but once I do it does lock out further cycling until I release the trigger. If I then depress the trigger I can cycle the forend without depressing the release button. Is that proper action? I thought I couldn't cycle the forend regardless of the trigger being "armed" when I first got it but I could be wrong. All other cycling/function seems correct with the safety, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but this is how it works for me;

This gun doesnt care if you have ammunition loaded in or not.

You either have to press the action release button OR pull the trigger to "fire" the gun.

It should not allow you to cycle it more than once without pressing the trigger or pushing the button. (After firing it allows you to load a single shell in, regardless if you actually have any in the mag..)

This is basically made to prevent you from accidentally ejecting a shell that hasnt been fired. So you either have to fire it OR press the button to dump an unused shell on purpose.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 am
Allright guys. This is my first post. Hope its in the right place. I just bought my 887 a few days ago. I'm headed on a waterfowl hunt very soon. I will not be able to test fire my gun before hand. I understand this is not a good idea, but it is what it is!

The main reason I bought this gun was because my 870 was stolen and my back up is to unreliable. I knew nothing about the gun prior to purchase. I bought it because it fit me real good. I like the feel and it sights naturally.

First thing I do with any new gun is break it down and examine the parts. I noticed the bolt is very different form the 870 or Mossy 500/590. It seems to be rotating bolt? From what I see, the fireing pin pertrusion relies on the inertia of the hammer? Could this be the reason for FTF's (esp. if rearward pressure is put on the pump)? If my observations are correct, without ever shooting it, I see this may cause a light strike.

Again, I have never fired my 887. I am going throught the forum, looking at problems and checking/testing before I leave. The only thing I can not test for are FTFs.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:58 pm
Many different reasons for FTF, most I have seen are related to newly purchased firearm not being stripped of the "preservation/anti rust gelatin" that comes on the weapon from the factory. Because it is so tacky it slows down the action causing the user to short stroke the round (i.e not fully locking the bolt forward (sorry for not using gumsmithing language).

Since my original post my 887 has been 100% reliable and a blast to shoot. Since you are not going to fire it make sure you clean a lube it good and cycle it (with no rounds loaded) until you feel it loosen up.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 pm
Amen Secret Squirrel! Every new weapon is stripped and cleaned. Usually have a Dremel on hand for a light buff and polish where needed. And of course, proper shooting technique is paramount. There are some who have written some disparaging things about the 887. I like the gun. I just need to be sure if there are problems I can correct before hand. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
Next

Return to Remington Model 887