• Advertisement

Remington 11-87 Installation of the Piston Seal

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., MikeD, DHonovich

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 am
This is an odd question but my local Dicks clerk is clueless. Can you help?
I bought a new 11-87 sportsman this year (super-mag) after shooting an 870 forever. The 11-87 cycles flawlessly no matter what I shoot through it. No problems there.

The question is regarding the piston/seal assembly. The counter-clerk showed me how to put the assembly together, but my manual seems to disagree. To make it worse, the Remington website seems to show parts I don't even have in my gun (not the barrel actuator...I know I don't need that). the website site shows a separate "piston".

All I have is a single metal-ring assembly and the infamous rubber o-ring. I don't have a "piston" thingy.
Can anyone tell me the correct placement of these parts on my magazine tube in laymans terms? Am I missing a part? Is this a 3-part assembly or 2 part assembly? It sounds weird but my part looks nothing like the one in the manual. I would also like the correct orientation of my metal ring assembly since I don't trust a thing the clerk did now. I realize he probably positioned the o-ring wrong now
Funny thing, the dang gun still worked great.
Ideas?
U.S. Army (Retired)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am
the piston assembly in the 11/87 manual is the old assembly not the new for the super mag, with the barrel seal activator

I need to see a picture of the new assembly for the 11-87 super mag. Brownells youtube is wrong Brownells - Rem 11-87/1100 Barrel Seal & Piston Seal Assem. , the piston is installed wrong in the video

The 11-87 Owner's Manual schematic has not been updated with the most recent version of the barrel seal activator. In this diagram the barrel seal, piston seal assembly and barrel seal activator are shown in the proper positions on the 11-87 Super Magnum magazine tube. Go to this diagram at the link listed below to see the proper placement of this part:

A barrel seal activator is used on the 11-87 Super Magnum to improve performance when shooting 2¾” shells. You should remove the activator when shooting 3” and 3½” shells
U.S. Army (Retired)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm
I found the pictures I was looking for and here they are, Only for the Remington 11-87 super mag 12 ga.

U.S. Army (Retired)

Return to Remington Model 11-87