• Advertisement

Any word on returns ?

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., jstanfield103

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:45 pm
So has anyone heard back from, been in contact or received their R 51 form Remington repair ?

I'll wait until next Monday to call that would be the 2 week mark.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:02 pm
My 2 week mark will be wednesday, (tommorow). Have not heard anything from them. Will call on Thursday if I don't hear from them. :?:

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm
I called at the 1 wk mark. The operator wasn't in the same geographic location as the repair tech. and their system was not well integrated so he couldn't tell me anything.

This Thursday will be the 2 wk mark.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
http://cbd.atspace.com Martial Arts born in Western Civilization
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Don't think mine has been there long enough, I was told 2 or so weeks though. Was also told their new computer 'program' is something they are all new to and learning, whatever that means, he didn't elaborate. Keep us posted what you hear from Rem.
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:34 pm
Called Remington this morning regarding my R51 that they have for repairs.
I was told that they are waiting on "updated" internal parts to be available so that they may "update" the gun before it is returned to me. Could be "several" more weeks.
My guess would be that they will be replacing the breech block and possibly the barrel, as well as the rear sight.
Makes me wonder if they have halted production on new guns until updated parts are available, and will production or repairs get the parts first.
Remington sure is getting a black eye over this gun.
For what its worth, I bought a Springfield XDs 9mm just 2 days after I bought the R51. Until I sent the R51 in for repairs, I shot both guns side by side, same ammo, and same number of rounds. The XDs has since doubled the round count and there have been NO problems. :cry:

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:59 pm
This sounds like good news to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:16 pm
Electraclyde wrote:Called Remington this morning regarding my R51 that they have for repairs.
I was told that they are waiting on "updated" internal parts to be available so that they may "update" the gun before it is returned to me. Could be "several" more weeks.
My guess would be that they will be replacing the breech block and possibly the barrel, as well as the rear sight.
Makes me wonder if they have halted production on new guns until updated parts are available, and will production or repairs get the parts first.
For what its worth, I bought a Springfield XDs 9mm just 2 days after I bought the R51. Until I sent the R51 in for repairs, I shot both guns side by side, same ammo, and same number of rounds. The XDs has since doubled the round count and there have been NO problems. :cry:

Encouraging, but begs the question can a recall be forth coming on all the R51's without the "Updated" internals ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 pm
draidt wrote:
Electraclyde wrote:Called Remington this morning regarding my R51 that they have for repairs.

Encouraging, but begs the question can a recall be forth coming on all the R51's without the "Updated" internals ?

I will be very surprised if there is no recall. :|

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:11 pm
Sounds like good decisions are being made.

Oh fuff. Sounds to me like they're going the right thing. Very few people expected this gun, a brand new design, to be completely error free. Many expected it to have quite serious growing pains, though I admit I wasn't one; I merely expected minor growing pains.

Nevertheless, if Remington is going to all this trouble to make "updated" internals and such then they're handing this exactly right.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:13 pm
draidt wrote:Encouraging, but begs the question can a recall be forth coming on all the R51's without the "Updated" internals ?
Possibly. Either way, it sounds like they're doing the right thing.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm
lklawson wrote:
draidt wrote:Encouraging, but begs the question can a recall be forth coming on all the R51's without the "Updated" internals ?
Possibly. Either way, it sounds like they're doing the right thing.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I never doubted that they would "Do the right thing" eventually Ala the S&W XD recall. Some of my post's were rather harsh but when a pistol goes off in my hand unintentionally I think I have every right to display my displeasure. I hope they do issue a recall if warranted before someone gets injured. Sooner rather then later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm
I called Remington on Monday & the UPS mailer came Wednesday. They should have it by Friday.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am
Like every one else, very interested in what they tell you.

Have not shot mine enough to need to send it back yet. When Remington has a fix fo these problems will send mine back just to be sure it is as safe as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:00 pm
My R51 was delivered Tuesday April, 8, I haven't heard from them or tried to call. I too hope the replacement parts do the trick.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 am
I'll wait a little longer to see (or hear) what components are being modified. At that point, I will attempt to purchase all parts that were superseded by revised parts. I have done my own gunsmith operations all my life and have a few ideas where some parts will be changed. It will be interesting if they (Remington) find the same.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 am
Rick 51/ R51 wrote:and have a few ideas where some parts will be changed.
Same ones which you iterated in your other post(s) or have you added to the list?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:31 am
lklawson wrote:
Rick 51/ R51 wrote:and have a few ideas where some parts will be changed.
Same ones which you iterated in your other post(s) or have you added to the list?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Adding: A minor contour on the magazine to allow the next cartridge to angle up about 5 or 6 degrees. Ammunition with a larger diameter towards the nose should feed more reliably without the "bump-n-stumble" into the chamber's guide ramp. I might weld a bead to one of my mags, then polish it down to create a slightly angular surface for the cartridge to exit from. This would also shorten the height of the mag that shows some scoring from movement of the slide. I need to find the point of contact beneath the slide/block next time I break it down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm
Received the following email today:
Dear sir,

Thank you for contacting Remington! We apologize for the inconvenience of having your R51 in for repair. We greatly appreciate your patience. Our repairmen are working diligently to facilitate the repair process as quickly as possible. At this time, we do not have a return ship date available.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm
I stopped by the Remington booth today at the NRA convention in Indy. Had an interesting conversation with a young man who is a product manager for Remington.
They are awaiting manufacture of new, slightly different breechblocks, which will also have some sort of coating on them for aiding in reduced wear and better retention of lubrication. He also said that those guns with a loose rear sight issue will have the slides replaced. He claims that the dovetails on the slides were improperly cut. He could not/would not commit to a timeline for the completion of the new parts. He also said that the warranty on the gun would start over when they were repaired.
They did have about 10 R51's on display, some with Crimson Trace Lasers on them. I racked the slide on several of the guns, and found some to be difficult, and some to be VERY easy!?!?!?
I also told him that the longer it takes, the more rounds I fire thru my XDs 9, the more I like the gun. Better get my Remington back to me soon or I may lose interest! LOL. :roll:

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am
Electraclyde wrote:I stopped by the Remington booth today at the NRA convention in Indy. Had an interesting conversation with a young man who is a product manager for Remington.
They are awaiting manufacture of new, slightly different breechblocks, which will also have some sort of coating on them for aiding in reduced wear and better retention of lubrication. He also said that those guns with a loose rear sight issue will have the slides replaced. He claims that the dovetails on the slides were improperly cut. He could not/would not commit to a timeline for the completion of the new parts.
Cool. Thanks for that. Be interesting to see an official statement.

He also said that the warranty on the gun would start over when they were repaired.
That's good news! :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:07 pm
Have heard nothing from Remington in a few weeks. So far my Shield 9 has 600+ rounds through it and not a single hiccup....zip, zero, nada....
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:22 am
remmy wrote:Have heard nothing from Remington in a few weeks. So far my Shield 9 has 600+ rounds through it and not a single hiccup....zip, zero, nada....

I went in on a group buy with 2 of my friends. Zastava M88A 9mm semi, made is Serbia. $ 239.00 each. Fit and Finish better then you would expect. All 3 like your Shield Zero, Zip, nada hiccups 100's of rounds. Someday I want to say that about my R51.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:28 pm
draidt wrote:
remmy wrote:Have heard nothing from Remington in a few weeks. So far my Shield 9 has 600+ rounds through it and not a single hiccup....zip, zero, nada....

I went in on a group buy with 2 of my friends. Zastava M88A 9mm semi, made is Serbia. $ 239.00 each. Fit and Finish better then you would expect. All 3 like your Shield Zero, Zip, nada hiccups 100's of rounds. Someday I want to say that about my R51.

Never heard of that gun, I'll have to check that one out. Thanks

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:57 pm
draidt wrote:So has anyone heard back from, been in contact or received their R 51 form Remington repair ?

I'll wait until next Monday to call that would be the 2 week mark.

Geez ... I have been waiting over a month! If I had to do it over again I would have never bought the weapon. As soon as I get it back I am going to sell it!!

Frankly I saw the single stack 9mm from Walther at the NRA show... this might be the ticket many of us are looking for. This time I am going to NOT rush in and but till I am sure it is as good as the press seems to make it out to be!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 pm
maccountrypilot wrote:As soon as I get it back I am going to sell it!!
Why? As a protest? All that will do is give the next guy a good deal on a factory serviced and updated firearm.

Keep it. Shoot it. See if the bugs are worked out before getting mad and selling. You might save yourself some money.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Next

Return to Remington R-51