• Advertisement

Love this gun!!!

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:21 pm
After many years of wanting one, I have acquired a near mint SP-10,anyone know how many of these Remington produced? I believe there are quite a few out there but nobody gets rid of them.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:31 pm
Glad you got one, the 10-ga is not a huge seller in most locations. Except for heavy waterfowl loads, it has kind of been over-taken by the more versatile 3-1/2" 12-ga magnums that let you use 2-3/4", 3" or heavier loads when called for.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:45 am
When it comes to big birds and big shot, nothing compares to the 10 gauge. I used to stand there and watch guys rattle shot off swans in Eastern North Carolina as I waited and tried to spot one with a neck band, and when I did shoot is was bang - flop. I went thru a bunch of them before tungsten shot arrived. My biggest complaint was they were all too heavy for good handling. We were shooting less weight of shot than with lead, but all the gunmakers figured we needed 2+ more pounds of gun to do it with. I shaved almost 2 pounds off a synthetic BPS 10 gauge and it was the best, but I never could grow to love that bottom load only and when tungsten came along I went back to a 12 gauge.
If only Remington had scaled up an 870 or 1100 just enough to shoot 10 gauge instead of buying the Ithaca Mag 10 design. They spent 2 or 3 years redesigning the bugs out of it before they brought out the SP10, but it does appear they were successful.
What could have happened... did.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:40 pm
Virginian,I agree with you, I have not waterfowl hunted in years now, but at one time was quite serious about it, and we are starting to get back into it. I have a 11-87 SPS 3 inch and have had one of the first 11-87 3.5 inch guns, My father in law has used his SP-10 for years now. Have shot mine now and the heavy weight does reduce felt recoil compared to the 3.5 guns, but I wanted it for nostalgia more than anything I guess,I have killed just as many ducks and geese with my 3 inch gun than any of the others actually.

Return to Remington Model SP-10