• Advertisement

Hard Chrome Completed

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 pm
I got my RM380 back this week with the Hard Chrome application completed.

Short review: Wow!!

The RM380 looks like an entirely new pistol. I got mine used, albeit barely fired by the first owner, but the finish was already marred, and it just continued to get worse with a bit of use and and holster carry. Otherwise, though, mine has been a gem. So this Hard Chrome treatment really fixed what was, to me, the pistol's only real flaw.

I took it out for a quick test firing when it arrived, and as always it functioned flawlessly with a number of different ammos. After all this time away, I'd forgotten, too, just how good my trigger has become with the Galloway upgrades and a lot of firing/dry firing.

I really glad I stuck with this pistol, and thrilled I paid a bit extra to dress it up to look the way it should.
Attachments
IMG_1666.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg (139.99 KiB) Viewed 6335 times

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:33 pm
where was the work done? were all of the parts treated? do you mind telling what it cost?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:31 pm
All of the metal parts with the exclusion of springs, I believe, were given the treatment. The aluminum frame added a bit to the cost because that requires a two-part process for the hard chrome to adhere.

Here is the website for the company: http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com. They are a truly class act and a pleasure to deal with, and I don't say that about too many companies.

They were very generous with their time given the trouble that I encountered with the cracked slide and Remington's abysmal CS (Mahovsky actually discovered the crack and handled both shipping and receiving back the pistol from Remington at no charge.). This delay also put me a bit behind some manufacturers' bulk orders when the pistol got back in queue, so Mahovsky was kind enough to give me a bit of a discount at the final tally for all my troubles. So I don't want to give you an exact quote, because your circumstance will surely be different. But suffice to say that you could get a RM380 with 2 magazines done between $200 and $250. If you consider your Remington a keeper, I think that is money very well spent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:04 pm
appreciate the info...i will research it., as i've got a rm380 that needs something like that. i do have another rm380 that sent to Robar for their NP3+ treat and it turned out very nice. Robar has quit the gun finish business.

thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 am
am going to FedEx mine early next week...Hard Chrome, sending 2 extra magazines. will be interesting comparing Mahovsky with the one Robar finished with NP3+.

Mahovsky has a very interesting history and being in the business 45 years is quite an accomplishment. price is substantially cheaper than Robar. and turnaround time appears to be faster.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 pm
Awesome!

Keep us posted. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:17 pm
my RM380 came home yesterday. very nice work. it looks comparable to the Robar NP3 finish. no chance to take it to the range til weather warms up. i talked to. Mr. Mahovsky a few days ago and his thought about the RM380 was "best of the small .380's". am sure he's disassembled every .380 made. will probably send him another pistol or two when spring arrives. i will pay him extra to FedEx my pistol back. UPS dropped my pistol off just inside my fence right next to the street yesterday. 250' from my house. had fresh snow, so it was easy to see the boot tracks. lobbed the box about 10 feet onto the ground. p***ed me off. never had real good luck with UPS.....much prefer FedEx even though it is a little more expensive.

anyway, Mahovsky is 1/2 cost of NP3 [Robar is no longer plating guns]. if Robar were still in business i would choose Mahovsky due to the cost. doubt NP3 is any better than Mahovssky's plating.

I have no reservation recommending the Hard Chrome or Mr. Mahovsky.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm
Pistolero wrote:my RM380 came home yesterday. very nice work. it looks comparable to the Robar NP3 finish. no chance to take it to the range til weather warms up. i talked to. Mr. Mahovsky a few days ago and his thought about the RM380 was "best of the small .380's". am sure he's disassembled every .380 made. will probably send him another pistol or two when spring arrives. i will pay him extra to FedEx my pistol back. UPS dropped my pistol off just inside my fence right next to the street yesterday. 250' from my house. had fresh snow, so it was easy to see the boot tracks. lobbed the box about 10 feet onto the ground. p***ed me off. never had real good luck with UPS.....much prefer FedEx even though it is a little more expensive.

anyway, Mahovsky is 1/2 cost of NP3 [Robar is no longer plating guns]. if Robar were still in business i would choose Mahovsky due to the cost. doubt NP3 is any better than Mahovssky's plating.

I have no reservation recommending the Hard Chrome or Mr. Mahovsky.

I'm glad you're pleased with the work. Mr. M. and his daughter are definitely "good people." I will gladly give them my business again, and am considering a few of my pistols for a Hard Chrome upgrade in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 am
made a short trip to the range and put 4-5 magazines thru the .380. it was too cold to put many rounds downrange. no glitches....was firing Hydra-Shoks, which have a very large hole in the end of the bullet. if it will work with the H-S it should function with any JHP. i have a Vedder Pocket Locker to carry it in my front pocket. and it fits perfectly in Wright OWB Predator holster for my S&W .380 Body Guard [with laser].
overall am very satisfied with the pistol and Hard Chrome finish. looking forward to warm weather and green grass, spending a little more time at the range. stay safe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:50 pm
Pistolero wrote:made a short trip to the range and put 4-5 magazines thru the .380. it was too cold to put many rounds downrange. no glitches....was firing Hydra-Shoks, which have a very large hole in the end of the bullet. if it will work with the H-S it should function with any JHP. i have a Vedder Pocket Locker to carry it in my front pocket. and it fits perfectly in Wright OWB Predator holster for my S&W .380 Body Guard [with laser].
overall am very satisfied with the pistol and Hard Chrome finish. looking forward to warm weather and green grass, spending a little more time at the range. stay safe

That's very good news...glad to hear it.

Mine, too, has been 100% since the hard chrome. I've also noticed that the magazines insert and drop appreciably slicker.

Return to Remington RM-380