• Advertisement

Original Remington House and forge

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 am
Does anyone know the location of the original Remington "finery forge" on the banks of Steele Creek?

Supposedly the original stone house still stands, but I have not been able to find its exact location.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:36 am
That'd be a good question. Google Maps doesn't show anything labeled "historic", and the Remington plant is actually about 2 blocks away from Steele Creek. Might make for a good day trip!
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am
Scorpion8 wrote:That'd be a good question. Google Maps doesn't show anything labeled "historic", and the Remington plant is actually about 2 blocks away from Steele Creek. Might make for a good day trip!

yeah, if I didn't live 2,800 miles away.... :D

I found where the house is, and just down the hill along the river is a road named Remington Road. Supposedly there is a rock with a brass plaque stating the location of the old forge, I assume it is along that stretch of the creek, but I cannot find the plaque along hwy 51
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 pm
TINCANBANDIT wrote:yeah, if I didn't live 2,800 miles away.... :D

You and me both. I thought the original house had been preserved, and I've seen pictures of it but maybe the bean counters finally won out. That creek runs close to a lot of housing and roadways now, so maybe there was land pressures.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Remington