• Advertisement

New trigger kit

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:38 am
Was wondering if there are any reviews on the new Galloway Tyre short stroke trigger kit?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 pm
Ditto. I'm on the verge of grabbing one of these...to go along with all my other Galloway upgrades...and would love to hear some user reviews.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
I would also like to see some info on the new TYRE trigger for the 380. I watched the video from Galloway and it didn't appear to be much better than the original for pull length. I really like the size of the rm380 but the very long trigger makes it more difficult to shoot accurately. Galloway wants $70.00 for the trigger kit, not a bad price if it resolves my problem, but to much if it doesn't.
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm
Galloway started selling trigger kits again? Last I heard, they discontinued them a couple of years ago.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:06 pm
i bought the turnkey kit from galloway precision. Installed everything on my RM 380 and it makes a whole world of difference. Can't go wrong getting it!
.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm
I've been hoping Galloway would bring these back. Is there a noticeable difference in the trigger pull feeling shorter? I don't want a too short trigger pull, but would like not to have to pull it all the way back before it breaks.

Have you had a chance to shoot it with the new trigger yet? Any problems with misfires due to light primer strikes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 pm
I installed the new trigger in my RM380 but have not yet test-fired it.

As Galloway says, it reduces the pull length by about 20%. It really does feel better than stock.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:09 pm
I have had the chance to use it at the range and haven't had any issues. I polished the feed ramp before firing it and I assume that helped. No issues with my RM380.
.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:55 pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I just ordered the trigger kit from Galloway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:53 pm
I debated getting the new Tyre trigger, but then heard some stories about that new trigger bar being prone to bending if a magazine isn't seated in the well. I do a lot of my dry firing with the magazine removed (so I don't have to unload/load every time I do some practice trigger pulls), and I just wasn't willing to take the risk.

Bottom line, though, is that my trigger with the other Galloway upgrades and lots of trigger pulls is smooth as glass and appreciably lighter. Also, I have smaller hands so the trigger breaking pretty far back isn't an issue for me.
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 pm
Ok, I got the new short stroke trigger kit from Galloway and installed it. I do notice a slightly shorter trigger pull, which I like. I'm not crazy about the redesigned trigger because it's a little less comfortable to use than the stock trigger. It also kinda pinches my finger down at the tip. I can get used to it, but this made me wonder. . .
Prior to purchasing the kit, I had asked Brandyn about using the stock trigger with the new trigger bar. He said the new trigger should be used with the redesigned bar. I had to see for myself, so I installed the new bar with the stock trigger, and it seems to work just fine. Same shorter pull. Does anyone know why this would be a bad idea?

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:38 pm
Purchased, just received and installed the "new" Tyre trigger kit from Galloway. 1st observation was that the trigger fails to reset about 90 % of the time unless you allow the trigger to "snap" back to the reset position. Removed the new trigger and replaced it with the OEM trigger however same results. The trigger will reset 100 % of the time if allowed to freely snap back. There is a minor reduction in stroke however, on my gun, the trigger pressure seems to increase just prior to the break. Not a resounding success at this point especially considering the $70.00 cost. Have not been to the range yet - will advise.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:13 am
Sent an email to Galloway regarding issues with new Tyre Trigger Kit. Response copied below:

There isn't a problem, that's the design of the pistol. It's a double action only it has to go all the way forward to reset, and you will always have a wall when the trigger engages. All the Tyre kit does is shorten the overall stroke of the trigger.
---
Brandyn Langston
Lead Gunsmith

www.gallowayprecision.com.

http://instagram.com/gallowayprecision

http://facebook.com/gallowayprecision

http://www.youtube.com/c/GallowayPrecision

https://gunstreamer.com/@GallowayPrecision

https://vimeo.com/gallowayprecision

Business hours Monday through Friday 0900 to 1700 EST.

On 2019-06-26 22:14, Jon Harris wrote:
Hi Folks,

Recently purchased ( order 116826 ) the new Tyre Short Stroke Trigger Kit for the Remington RM 380. After installation 1st observation was that the trigger would not reset unless it was allowed to freely “snap” back to the ready position. Reinstalled the OEM trigger but had the same results. Closely examined the trigger bar and found an small extruded edge ( burr ) all around the perimeter of the “punch” side of the trigger bar. Removed the burr with a fine arkansas stone and reassembled. Significant improvement noted ( 90-95 % ) with both OEM & Tyre triggers.. Still noting excess stack up immediately prior to break. Will visit the range next. Would appreciate any suggestions regarding where to look regarding a solution to the stack up problem.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:41 am
Some additional thoughts regarding my issues with the new Galloway Tyre short stroke trigger kit. Purchased my RM380 new on 4/29/2019 from Rural King. Bought this primarily based on the field reports of it's ability to function reliably with almost any ammo and despite the well documented reports of a long and heavy trigger pull. During initial range visit gun functioned satisfactorily.

After taking delivery and running 50 rounds thru the weapon I decided to install the new Tyre short stroke trigger kit. After receipt and installation of new short stroke trigger kit I loaded a snap cap and proceeded to dry fire. Immediately noticeable was the fact that the trigger would not reset normally. Any manual control of the normal trigger reset process would result in no reset. The only way to achieve reset was to remove the trigger finger completely, after the break, and allow the trigger to "snap" back into the ready position. Removed the trigger bar and examined closely. Found a sharp burr, all the way around the trigger bar, on the "punch" side of the bar. Carefully removed the burr using a fine Arkansas stone and reassembled. Significant improvement noted in trigger reset indicating to me that the burr had been causing some interference in free motion. Still had not achieved what I would consider to be reliable operation. Subsequently tried multiple mix and match combinations of OEM and Tyre triggers and trigger bars - no combination functioned satisfactorily.

Finally decided to reinstall the OEM trigger and trigger bar. I did apply some graphite based "never-sieze" to the sear surfaces however made no modifications to sear or hammer contact points. Currently dry firing is smooth with minimal stack-up prior to the trigger break and a reliable trigger reset.

I did contact Galloway regarding the failure to reset issue however was very disappointed with their response ( see earlier post). In all fairness to Galloway I have to add that although my RM380 was new to me Remington subsequently advised that, based on serial number, the gun was manufactured on 5/2016 - shortly after the RM380 was introduced. A review of Galloway video's seems to indicate that the 1st version on the Tyre short stroke trigger was unsuccessful due to early RM380 manufacturing variations and my gun may well fall into that category.
.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 am
Sorry to see you had problems with the Tyre trigger kit. While the long reset is a known issue of this gun's design, it does appear the new bar's flaws caused some of your poor reset experience. It sounds like the date of manufacture of your RM380 might also be the culprit. I've heard Galloway actually discontinued sales of the early versions of the trigger kit due to inconsistencies in the manufacturing process of the older models of this gun. That's just from what I've seen on this forum.

I've been very happy with my new trigger setup so far. I've installed most of the Galloway performance upgrades on my Remington, and the trigger is now very smooth and easy to pull, with a slightly shorter stroke. I haven't had a chance to test it on the range yet, which is why I'm withholding complete praise of this modification. Brandyn has assured me that there shouldn't be any issues if quality ammo is used, so I anticipate I will be very happy with the results.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:26 pm
I picked up a complete set of parts from Galloway-Precision a month or two ago. That included everything they offer EXCEPT the extra-round magazine base. I installed the parts following instructions in their video on YouTube.

In the video the tech who made the video said you don't have to tighten down the grip screws (3 of them) tightly, but I found that if I DIDN'T get them pretty darned tight, the trigger bar came loose under the grips after 10 or so DAO trigger pulls.

The spring kit and new trigger/trigger bar (which shortens the length of pull a bit) was a good upgrade. I also got a new hammer spring, recoil spring assembly, and firing pin spring in the big kit.

My first time out (in original stock mode) I found I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The trigger pull was long and heavy.I didn't measure the trigger pull weight before the change of all the springs and trigger, but I found I had a hard time hitting the broad side of the barn in stock mode. With the upgrades installed the trigger measures 6 lbs., but it doesn't really feel that heavy, and it's smooth and breaks cleanly. It does have a slightly shorter pull, now.

After installing the parts kit I'm now getting smaller groups (4"-5") at 30 feet doing a moderate rate of fire, but I know I will eventually get them smaller. (If I slow down I can get smaller groups so I attribute the current large groups to my trigger skills and not the gun. I'm used to much lighter triggers in my other guns, which are either striker-fired or DA/SA.)

The trigger and hammer springs alone may be the best $$ spent, but I'm glad I got all of the kit I got.

I'll probably get another magazine (with the pinkie base, from EBAY) and an extra-round extension (or two) from Galloway in the next month or two. I haven't tried one of those extensions, but it looks as though it'll function as a "pinkie" rest too.
.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:32 am
Excellent report, Walt. I, too, have installed all of the Galloway upgrades, with one tiny exception. I didn't like the feel of the Tyre trigger, so I reinstalled the factory trigger, with new trigger bar, and am very happy with the final result.
These changes turned a good gun into a great gun.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:46 pm
I've had another range session since my first trip and am starting to be VERY HAPPY with the little RM380. It's the most-pleasant-to-shoot small gun I've tried or owned, and I'm starting to get sub-3" groups now -- they were much larger in purely stock form, and about 4-5" the first time out with the Galloway parts installed, and about 3" in the following session.

I suspect with a few more range sessions I'll continue to improve.

(I've owned the following: a Kel-Tec P3At, P-ll, PF-9, Kahr P9, CW9, Ruger LCP, and have played with a Kahr PM9 and shot a Seecamp .380. Most of them were unpleasant and the Seecamp was painful. The RM380 is impressive.)

Return to Remington RM-380