• Advertisement


Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:16 pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:01 pm
I just bought an older 16 gauge 870. The previous owner had a new full choke barrel installed with an internal screw in choke. Don't know if It was factory installed or done by a gun smith. It came with one screw in modified choke. I want to buy an improved cylinder choke. My questions are number one, how can I tell if this a Remchoke, Winchoke, or some other so I can match the other choke? Question number two since the fixed choke is a full choke can I take the modified choke out and use it as a full without damaging the barrell? I have never owned or used a gun with interchangeable chokes. Help please.
User avatar
.270 WIN
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Williamsburg, Va.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 am
Being as it is 16 ga finding another one to compare it with might be tough. You can mail it to Briley (www.briley.com ) and they can tell you what it is and sell you another choke tube.
It is not recommended to shoot a choke tube threaded barrel without a choke tube installed. Yes, I know people do it. If you shoot without a choke tube installed you will have NO choke; it will be cylinder bore. Since your barrel has a choke marking on it (Full) your tube installation is almost assuredly aftermarket. When they install tubes they have to bore out all the old choke plus a little first.
What could have happened... did.
User avatar
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:59 pm
Location: SouthEast Alaska
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54 am
Go to Carlson's website or TruLock Chokes (https://trulockchokes.com/) and use their identification tool to match yours up. You may have to send it to them.
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!

Return to Remington V3 Autoloader

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

  • Advertisement