• Advertisement

Stuck Breech Block

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A., jstanfield103

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 pm
I was out shooting mine the other day and when I was taking the gun down to clean it, I went through the usual three-handed exercise to get the slide and barrel off, but I couldn't get the Breech Block to drop free. Usually it was just a matter of holding the barrel forward and tipping the slide to get it out, but now it stays hung up in the slide and won't come out. It will flop around and jiggle forward to back, but it won't tip to come out and just stays there. I'm not sure what is wrong and was wondering if there was a hack out there to get it out? Never happened before.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 pm
Well, I had left the stuck breech block aside for a few months as I found myself occupied with a rifle build and playing with my wheelguns. About a month ago, I pulled the R51 back out and took it shooting again-I hadn't had it completely apart since May and it hadn't been cleaned thoroughly. It shot okay, but I had a couple of light primer strikes. When I tried to take it apart, the breech block was still stuck but, with better light, I could see what was keeping it stuck all these months-there is a horizontal pin through the block that retains the firing pin and it had drifted all over to one side, hanging up on the slide so there was no way it would come out. Moreover, the firing pin was almost completely out the back-which might explain the soft primer strikes. I took the firing pin the rest of the way out and wrestled with the block some, eventually getting a thin scewdriver blade up between the side of the slide and the pin and giving it a twist which popped the pin back in and let the breech block fall out. Now the firing pin was out and I was unable to drift the retention pin back out so I called Remington. They gave me a return authorization and let me ship it back to them 3 weeks ago and they just sent the gun back to me with a new Breech Block. I don't know if this is a problem others have had but that drifting pin might explain some of the soft primer strikes people have been having problems with. Once that firing pin gets loose it has to travel a lot further when the hammer hits it. I took it out today and got 50 rounds through it. It works fine with the "old" mags that I did the floor plate mod to, but I also have a couple new mags that were a little persnickity. In the interim, about 6 months ago on a whim I got a Glock 19, and I think if I were really looking for an SD pistol I'd go with the Glock and leave the R51 in the safe, even though it's really fun to play with.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm
Good to hear the Remington fixed the block. My one experience with customer service on my R51 was very good.
The new mags were not working well? What did it do?

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:59 pm
Oh the new mags were leaving the last round in. Not picking up. Kind of like what the old ones did sometimes before doing the follower leg trimming mod. I'll pull out the Dremel and work on them some to see if it helps.

Return to Remington R-51