• Advertisement

1187 mods

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 pm
I thought that I would add a few of the mods that I have made to my 1187. I have one rule, don't mess with the high pressure areas! With that said, I made some changes to suit myself, my abilities and hopefully to improve my performance. I use the gun in IPSC type shooting, that is rapid, mentally and physically taxing, speedloading etc. I also shoot these disciplines in open class with a box fed PM5 pump and manual class with an Ithaca 37.
One thing that is constant is that we are often required to shoot weak handed and if the course of fire requires a safety catch moment then that is where the brain fades kicks in! looking at my three chosen guns, I realised that although the safety catches were somewhat different, they all had the same basic operation. the rear of the triggers have an extension that would either pass into a slot (Fire) or be blocked by the body of the catch (Safe)
I then determined that I could make a rotating, ambidextrous safety for all three guns. Obviously differing sizes and detent locations but it was not a difficult task and now my guns have a common feature that feels normal and above all feels right. With the lever in the down position (Safe) the trigger engages the body of the catch and will not move back. In the forward position (Fire) the trigger enters the slot and performs its function. An added benefit is that in the down (Safe) position the catch interferes with the trigger finger, so informing me instantly that I am safe. This is particularly helpful if the safety is applied and then the shoulder is changed. With a push thru it can get confusing. No more embarrassing fails to fire, doh! the safety is on!!
I used brass for this project as it is easy to work, hard enough and it stands out on the gun (I thought quite important when showing "clear and safe" to the range officers

remmods (5).JPG
left side Safe position (right side can be seen thru trigger guard)
remmods (5).JPG (59.57 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
remmods (1).JPG
left side Fire position
remmods (1).JPG (64.11 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Last edited by impala59 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 pm
Another modification is my simple speedloader. After having a few setting up and operating problems with my DMW Easi-loader I watched some slo-mo film and was amazed at the bouncing about that occurred during cycling. It appeared to me that the mass was the issue and I duly shortened the 'fangs' (so called as they really bite if you get it wrong and a few ripped fingers was making me wary!) to reduce the mass. I looked at the Remington Tactical action release but was dismayed to find that it was not available for left handers.

My solution was a small piece of sprung steel (1.5mm thick, 13mm wide, 40mm long) with a slight bend bolted to the original release button. This does the same job as the DMW unit with about a 5th of the mass. It works perfectly, is suitably rounded and doesn't bite!

remmods (2).JPG
remmods (2).JPG (78.15 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Third in this short series of mods is my extended magazine stabiliser. I have often noticed that guns with long mag tubes seem to have the tube forced away from the barrel by the tube clamp. I reasoned that a clamp was not needed but something to stabilise the mag tube was. This had to hold the tube parallel to the barrel and also prevent rotation.
My solution was a steel ring section with a machined internal slot for an O ring (I had loads of these trying to sort out a light load option!) with an aluminium upper part-ring screwed to the steel ring with washers between as spacers to ensure the parallel line I was looking for. At the bottom I tapped for two set screws for anti-rotation but in fact the O ring seems to suffice in that regard. This unit slides over the barrel and tube and exerts no bending force on either. Perhaps not pretty but this is my first try-out and it works as I wished it to.
stablrem (2).JPG
the finished unit showing inner groove for O ring
stablrem (2).JPG (63.49 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

remmods (4).JPG
fitted to the gun
remmods (4).JPG (59.55 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
stablrem(4).JPG
the set screws will be replaced with grub screws to clean up the shape
stablrem(4).JPG (67.26 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

Please forgive the messy Hi Vis sight shown in picture 3, its a temporary fitting and another work in progress! ( basically a light collecting green fibre optic with a tube at the rear to ensure line of sight is correct)

I had a couple of hours today so I made a lightweight Aluminium version with a nylon sprung clip to grip the barrel, anti-rotation by virtue of an M5 grub screw underneath. As previous version this holds the tube solid and parallel to the barrel with no bending or clamping force applied
stabl(6).JPG
stabl(6).JPG (69.43 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
stablrem(8).JPG
stablrem(8).JPG (58.09 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting