• Advertisement

Bankruptcy effects?

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:42 pm
Any news on how the bankruptcy filing will affect production?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:45 pm
What difference does it make? Their reputation for a quality product is in the toilet along with their Customer Service! Cerebus and Freedom Group did them in, now they are circling the drain and the end is near! You can't fool all of the people all of the time! A crap product for good money just won't fly all that long! They can join Colt in the "we didn't care about our customers" grave yard!!!

20g
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm
News I heard a few days back is not good. Something concerning financial support to file for bankruptcy! Sure have had issues lately concerning everything. First Winchester and Marlin now Remington. A damn shame to say the least. Hope some miracle happens but who knows?

20g
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am
Just read this morning Remington filed Chapter 11. Damn shame it all came to this but not surprised after all the issues over the last 10 years. Hope they can turn things around somehow.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm
I agree that Cerberus has milked the cow dry. And ran debt up through the ceiling.

I honestly don't understand how a company, especially that owns as many different products as Remington, could be bankrupt after how the market has been the last decade.

Without being mismanaged anyway.

I suspect that the company will be able to sell out to someone else. And I hope that things will improve for them at that point.

But I think for them to be really competitive again, they need to really up their game with the quality of stuff they're putting out there, and shed any previous debts that the company name has incurred in the past. Until they get out from under that, it's going to be too crushing for them to continue if they don't.

And start innovating products again. Too many companies are just relying on 50 year old designs and stopped actually making anything new.

CZUSA is seemingly just about the only company that is currently putting out new products that their customers are asking for.

The scorpion line of guns is a good example of that. They're even going to be offering factory suppressed sbr's this year.

3 or 4 different variants of the pistols and not even mentioning the carbine.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm
Very true. Remington has been "into and out of" so many varied lines like the Zastava 798's and Russian shotguns as sidelines but never wholly committing to anything. All of their current lineup are classics, but that's part of the issue: what's new? Since they bought Marlin, the Marlin product lineup has been decreasing, not even holding steady. Remington needs some new designs, the 10/22's and even Marlin 60's outsell the 597's by the truckloads. I'm surprised they still make the 552/572 with it's required craftsmanship, seeing how Marlin dropped the 39A except for "custom shop" sales of re-worked new-old-stock.

Why not some take-downs?

Why not a Remington over-under shotgun?

Bring back the 700 Classic in vintage calibers. Or a new take on that project. It may be simple, but they SOLD every single rifle they made in each special caliber!
NRA Life, NAHC Life, Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars .... glory, lasts forever!

20g
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:12 pm
I for one would like to see the return of the "Special Field" models of the 870 and 1100. Quality made guns of the 80s.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:41 pm
mauser9 wrote:I for one would like to see the return of the "Special Field" models of the 870 and 1100. Quality made guns of the 80s.

Yes!

I wish I had picked one up when I bought my 870 Express
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.-Ronald Reagan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 am
Remington has some "competition" models, but I don't think they even sell the 870 Trap anymore. How about some "real" competition models? I mean if TriStar can make a quality trap/skeet lineup in the TT-15's, why not Remington?
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 am
I have one of the Tristar imported field models from Turkey.

In fairness, it is a really nice gun. Granted that I don't shoot it nearly as much as a lot of people, I like it.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.
-Me

Now I know they're not so ignorant and it's ATRRITION

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 pm
Explains why I was able to get an RP9 with 2 10 round and 2 18 round mags for $269.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:53 pm
Well, at least their through their bankruptcy now.
USMC 83' - 87'
NRA Member
Indiana & Utah CCW

Are we there yet?

20g
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:55 pm
Haven't read any recent news myself. Would love to see Remington riding the crest of the wave but so many curves the last years. Love the "older stuff" but models like the 710-770 were huge mistakes and tough to swallow. Lets just have real quality back.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 am
mauser9 wrote:Lets just have real quality back.

That is the main issue that the accountants cannot put a price on. You can make all the made-to-price-point guns you want, but if they are garbage, then you won't sell 'em. There's a reason that the old Remington rimfires are such classics - because you'll never get that craftsmanship anywhere today. Making a new Marlin 39A would be spendy, although Chiappa seems to have done it. But if you make it and make it well, it will sell.

20g
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 pm
Hit the nail on the head scorpion8. Lets all hope

20g
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 pm
Heard they were out of bankruptcy. Creditors like JP Morgan willing to accept shares in company. Debt was $775 million. Let's hope for a big turn around with better heads running the company.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 pm
mauser9 wrote:.... with better heads running the company.

If they're not gun people, they'll just be businessmen and accountants. I think Windham Weaponry may be doing better post-Bushmaster than Bushmaster is doing under Remington. Ya gotta be a gun-person.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm
mauser9 wrote:Heard they were out of bankruptcy. Creditors like JP Morgan willing to accept shares in company. Debt was $775 million. Let's hope for a big turn around with better heads running the company.

That’s good news. I’m not sure how the company can eliminate that much debt but I hope they have a plan.

20g
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:32 pm
Guess we all know now. Ruger acquired the Marlin guns. Vista Outdoors which I understand already owns other ammo companies will get the Remington brand. I just hope the older line of the 1100 and 870 Wingmaster can somehow be kept in production but the Ilion plant might be shut down. Not surprised at the latest news at all. Was glad to hear of the Ruger acquisition of Marlin.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:48 pm
Yes, it's good news for Marlin because Ruger still seems to be "gun guys" for the most part. Remington? The company that aquired the gun-side of the business, not the ammo-side, seems to be a brand-collector and I don't know if they plan to make Remington viable again or just want to sell off pieces and parts as an "investment" company. Heck, at least Sportsman's Warehouse buying Tapco made sense, as they sell so many MSR products of theirs already.

Vista Outdoors bought the ammo-side of Remington, Roundhill Group (WTF is that?) bought the gun-maker side.

20g
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 pm
Heard they were a Real Estate firm out of Virginia I believe? Pretty happy Ruger has acquired the Marlin line myself. Would like to see the old 1100 field and target models still produced but I know the price ain't cheap on new ones. Recall paying around $330 for a TB trap 1100 back in 80 new. Christ the figured walnut stock would be worth that alone.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:49 pm
I've already got a wish list drawn up for Ruger/Marlin (what's that going to be, Ruglin or Marger?). A new, improved Model 39A, a 336 in some vintage calibers like 32 Win Special or 218 Bee, or a 336 in pistol calibers to go along with my Ruger SA pistols like 41 Rem Mag.

Depends if you believe the hype....https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... remington/

Thursday, October 1, 2020
Roundhill Group LLC Purchases Remington Firearms
Lancaster, PA — Roundhill Group, LLC, an investment company with headquarters in Pennsylvania and Florida announced that it is purchasing Remington Firearms. The purchase includes all long guns, shotguns, pistols, the firearms manufacturing facilities, museum and giftshop.
With this acquisition have come many industry questions and rumors. Roundhill Group LLC partner and spokesman, Jeff Edwards addresses these issues:
“As is known, Roundhill Group LLC and a group of experienced firearms manufacturing and hunting industry professionals is in the process of purchasing Remington Firearms. Our intent with this acquisition is to return the company to its traditional place as an iconic American hunting brand. We intend to maintain, care for and nurture the brand and all of the dedicated employees who have crafted these products over the years for outdoors men and women both here in the USA and abroad. More than anything we want to make Remington a household name that is spoken with pride.”
The Roundhill Group is comprised of a group of individuals all of whom have years of experience in engineering, manufacturing and marketing both in and outside of the firearms space. They are all life-long hunting advocates and staunch Remington brand loyalists. They will work tirelessly to ensure that this company takes its rightful place as the iconic American brand that it was and still is.

20g
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:23 am
Sounds promising Scorpion at least. Keeping up the 336-1894 line may be a great idea. I have noticed JM marked Marlins from the past are bringing good money on the used gun market. Again love to see the old Wingmaster and 1100 models kept in production. Best regards.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 pm
mauser9 wrote:Keeping up the 336-1894 line may be a great idea.

The 336/1894 line is what you buy Marlin for, they made very little else on the active lineup that qualified as a gold standard. And the classic lever gun is something missing in Ruger's lineup that matches well with their SA pistol range.

20g
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:11 pm
You bet. I recall Ruger did make the 96/44 carbine in lever action for a while. Also made the 96/22 in 22 magnum.
Next

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Remington