• Advertisement

Remington 783 stock

Moderators: Scorpion8, ripjack13, John A.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:07 pm
I did a quick search and didn't see any topics concerning the new model Remington 783. I didn't really expect to see much since the model is so new, but I have a question I hope the group can enlighten me on.

First off, most of my rifles and shotguns have been modified for a shorter length of pull or have adjustable stocks. I have shorter arms than most and prefer a length of pull of around 12.5". I've also had some shoulder injuries preventing me from comfortably shouldering a rifle or shotgun with a standard 13.5" length of pull. Many rifle manufacturers make compact models, Remington being among them. But when I purchased my new Rem 783 it was such a great deal, I wasn't concerned about length of pull, I just knew I wanted this baby. So I bought it, new in the box, from a trusted dealer in town.

Here's my question: can I put a compact stock on my standard model 783 without making any modifications? From what I can gather online there is no definitive specs on this. I'm assuming I can simply remove my stock and screw a new compact model on the receiver. This would be much more simple than trying to modify the existing polymer stock and butt pad, for sure. Any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Gray Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 pm
Welcome to the Remington Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:16 pm
Thanks shooter! Looks like a good group with a lot of information. Hope I can assist as well as learn something new.
Gray Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm
Have you tried Remington for the shorter stock...?

https://www.remington.com/shop/Rifle%20 ... ifleStocks

How about Boyd's Gun Stocks...?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStoc ... 4&Finish=1
Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:43 pm
No, I had no checked with either yet. But just for the sake of saying I did, I checked both sites you listed. Neither one had stocks for the 783 Compact. Go figure! But that wasn't my question. My question was and is, will the compact model stock fit my standard model receiver? I can assume they are the same dimensions, but I learned long ago not to assume anything. I certainly won't go out and purchase a stock first just to see if it works. Know what I mean? ;) So, does anyone know for certain?
Gray Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:27 pm
Although I haven't seen them side by side, they do appear to be the same length.
US Army Retired
Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:12 pm
Thanks coyotebob! I'm thinking the same thing. If anyone else wants to offer any input, I'm still looking for definitive info
Gray Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:03 pm
For what it's worth, Boyds does not show any difference in their stocks for the 783.
US Army Retired

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:00 pm
I was just looking at Boyd's today. If you go into the custom stock selections for your rifle, you can customize the length of pull. I was looking at 700 ADL...but I bet it works for all types.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm
Corsairball wrote:I was just looking at Boyd's today. If you go into the custom stock selections for your rifle, you can customize the length of pull. I was looking at 700 ADL...but I bet it works for all types.

I think so too! :)
US Army Retired

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 pm
Why not measure carefully and cut the old stock and put a limbsaver on?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 am
I recently purchased a compact model 783 black for my daughter, I ordered the camo stock from Remington. When it comes I will let you know how it fits, if it fits at all, should be here this week sometime. I couldn’t find a compact stock on the website. So I believe I am getting a stock for a 22” barrel which I hope is fine.

Return to Remington Bolt Action Model 783